SAU Community

R34 Gtr Turbo Upgrade - Needing Advice

Hi all,

I was looking for a thread with this kind of info but didn't have any luck finding one, please point me in the direction I need to go if there is one.

Basically I have a BNR34 GTR with a couple of blown turbos, so now I am searching the market to find me a new pair (upgraded) and know there are a whole bunch of brand and types out there, so I was hoping to get some advice or kind of pointed in the right direction of manufactures and models.

Currently I have minor mods such as a Haltech ECU, Fujistbo catback, Fuel pump and boost controller and have been dynoed at around 260awkw. I know that the Garrett -5 turbos are a popular upgrade to the 34's and have the potential to be reaching figures around 350+awkw which is what I would be after.

With upgrading turbos I was looking to upgrade the cams as well, along with the front/dump pipes and other parts since I don't want to be in and out of the mechanics a hundred times.

So if possible could people please recommend to me some turbos and why they would choose them.

Appreciate any help. Cheers.

I typed in "RB26" "turbo" "upgrade" and that came up with heaps of threads plus if you try searching for "-5" you should find a lot of very relevant threads.

Also worth looking at RB26 dyno results (stickied thread).

Depends on budget, there is a guy in for sale section selling -5s dumps and hard pipe kit, then tomei or jun drop in cams, adjustable cam gears bigger fuel pump injectors e85 pump tune .. Job done.

How to -9 compare to the stock R34 turbos? At the moment my turbo kind of kicks in around 3500-4000rpm

wont be hugely different lag wise in comparison to stock with a good tune, but will pull much harder, flow alot more, and make more power, especially on E85.

stock turbos should kick in earlier than that (around 3k) with a good tune and cam gears though.. have you had yours tuned?

Whats the duty cycle on your injectors atm??

You've already got ecu, fuel pump.. change to a decent flowing exhaust from front pipes back (id leave standard dumps and save your self unnecessary spending as back to back dyno graphs have proven the upgrade alternatives for your power goals make SFA difference and not worth the $$$), get some cam gears, some injectors if required, -5's and retune.

edit: also budget for a new clutch as if your still running the OEM one it will go bang quiet quickly regardless of what turbo you choose :yes:

Edited by nomnomv8

wont be hugely different lag wise in comparison to stock with a good tune, but will pull much harder, flow alot more, and make more power, especially on E85.

stock turbos should kick in earlier than that (around 3k) with a good tune and cam gears though.. have you had yours tuned?

I had mine tuned a while ago, but not being a gtr/tuned turbo car before having that I wasn't sure how it should've run

Whats the duty cycle on your injectors atm??

You've already got ecu, fuel pump.. change to a decent flowing exhaust from front pipes back (id leave standard dumps and save your self unnecessary spending as back to back dyno graphs have proven the upgrade alternatives for your power goals make SFA difference and not worth the $$$), get some cam gears, some injectors if required, -5's and retune.

edit: also budget for a new clutch as if your still running the OEM one it will go bang quiet quickly regardless of what turbo you choose :yes:

I think the injectors run at 5-6ish % on the dash computer. Would -5 result in more lag then a -9? (I'm a little confused on the whole dash range). I got an excedy clutch, doesn't feal the best but its still quiet new

Have you considered going a single precision 6262 etc?

I think I want to keep it with the twin set up

In order:

stock,

-7 (N1)

-9 (a tiny bit bigger than -7)

Ahh, clears a lot up. Cheers!

Thread closed. Believe it or not, but since SAU started more than 7 years ago, this topic has been discussed before.

Please use the search function in future. It may be found here:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&search_in=forums

While we understand that it can be frustrating to have your thread closed - Please consider that other members may feel it to be disrespectful and selfish of you to post a simple question, without using the search feature to review the wealth of information provided by said members over the years.

If you still feel that this action is unjust, then please PM me and we can discuss it further.