SAU Community

Place To Tune My Gtr And Ecutek Tune Or Cobb Tune

2FA54U

Hey guys I'm planning on getting my car tuned after I get my mines mid pipe put on and wondering what places you's recommend and have experience with. Also if Cobb tune or Ecutek which is better and if anyone knows whether the tune actually voids the cars warranty??

Hey guys I'm planning on getting my car tuned after I get my mines mid pipe put on and wondering what places you's recommend and have experience with. Also if Cobb tune or Ecutek which is better and if anyone knows whether the tune actually voids the cars warranty??

farting in your car will void the warranty let alone tuning it ;-)

What area do you live in?...we may be able to recommend a tuner somewhere close to you.

BTW....The R35 is not a Skyline :-)

Unfortunately yes this is true but from what some people have told me is that it depends on the dealer and with the Cobb you can simply just unplug it when visiting the dealer... Also I'm around the Newcastle area

I also ran a 11.5 stock and 11.2 with just k&n panel filters and tyre pressures at 32psi on a fairly hot and humid day. I'm interested in what time ill get with a midpipe and tune :)

Jim at Tunehouse in Sydney did my Ecutek tune.

I'm waiting to see about running a flex-fuel arrangement, and release of the latest sotfware.

There's heaps of discussion and debate on the U.S forum about Ecutek vs Cobb.

From what I read Cobb has fallen behind over the past year due to lack of development.

Brian

Edited by bcl

cobb were the pioneers on this platform but yes don't have the same features as ecutek atm

ecutek has variable launch rpms, which you can only do with cobb by running seperate maps - i run 2500 lc rpm everyday, then have switched to a 4200 or 4500 map at the drag strip within 30 seconds. not too big of a deal for the amount of times you'll actually use it

ecutek also allows boost off the line, which is irrelevant for a road car anyway unless you want to lunch boxes at the traffic light gp

i may be wrong, but i don't believe ecutek has the same tcm interface that cobb has, with being able to set touch points, clutch capacity, and upload the latest launch control and gearbox shift parameters in minutes. upgrading to the lc4 or lc5 cobb tcm does wonders for the driveability of the 09-10 cars

the flex fuel is the biggest advantage that ecutek has over cobb, though cobb is currently working on it. flex fuel would be very handy if you dont have the same roll out of e85/flexfuel we have in melb

though the biggest decision for me isnt the software, its the tuner - i attended a dyno comp recently and made more power (albeit only 1kw lol) with a 21" wheel disadvantage to a locally tuned R35 with big greddy turbos. choose a tuner, and let them tune the car with whatever they are more familiar with

I was going more towards the Cobb but atm ecutek doesn't sound too bad and mine is a 11 so the tcm wouldn't work in my favour... A plus side with Cobb it it can be tuned back to factory and back to the dealer but with ecutek it can't and I was going to Tune house originally then Cobb sounded more worth it. I would love to hear more feedback on which is better and none of them have a flex fuel system running there both working on it. Another good think about the ecutek is its tuned to the car itself instead of maps from others which could vary depending on mid pipe and intake mods etc

For all round useability, you'd have to go Cobb.... Everyone I know modding with cars these days use Cobb.. My mate Rich up here with a gunmetal GTR uses the Cobb on his 2008 JDM and it really shows up the stock mapping. His midrange power curve is crazy, especally considering the rest of his car is stock and with 57,000+ kms..

For all round useability, you'd have to go Cobb.... Everyone I know modding with cars these days use Cobb.. My mate Rich up here with a gunmetal GTR uses the Cobb on his 2008 JDM and it really shows up the stock mapping. His midrange power curve is crazy, especally considering the rest of his car is stock and with 57,000+ kms..

you'll get the best gains from a retune only on the older cars

the upgraded power year to year have been all around tuning for the most part (with exception of larger turbo inlet pipes which the aftermarket were doing by larger diameter prior anyway)

Ecutek links http://www.ecutek.com/Products/ProECU-Tuning-Suites/Nissan-Tuning-Suites/Nissan-GTR.aspx

I've almost finished sorting out my STi for racing, and am selling my Ford F6's, so my GTR will be the next thing to look at.

I know how well the STi goes on on E85, but I'd like my R35 to run on E85 also, but the reality is that I would not run it full time, and would prefer something for flexible than full map switching. The U.S forum thread is here

I will look into what's possible.
Ecutek & Cobb can support full map switching, but I'd prefer something a bit more flexible.
Brian
Edited by bcl

I'm still favouring the EcuTek atm that way I have my own tune to my mods

huh? you can dyno tune on cobb too - that is the preferred method for tuning any car. cobb offer e-maps online just for those who don't/can't/won't spend the money to tune their cars properly

my car was dyno tuned at willall racing on both 98 and e85 using the cobb software

adding a mid pipe to an R35 isnt rocket science, id be content with a mail order map from willall - they've done more than enough now to give you a 99% balls on tune

• Like 1

I tend to agree with you that an e-map is not a proper tune.

After spending $180k on a car I'd prefer a proper custom tune.

However I can see that it may be a convenience factor for many. I live in Sydney so there is no inconvenience.

Brian

There's no possible way I can get my car too willall and I was told I can get a tune which they had done for there hill climb car with a mid pipe 365kw it made and still deciding I got a month and abit before I get my midpipe so I have awhile to decide

If you want more than just noise out of a midpipe a tune is the way to go. But you don't need a tune par say, to fit a midpipe - its all post 02 sensors so no noticeable extra power.. I'm reluctant to tune in order to keep warranty should the tranny ever go (shuddup Domino! :P ) but post warranty I'll be sending the beast southward to willall for the full 09/10 renew kit.

Do you really need a tune just for the midpipe?

I know she wouldn't run as good as possible, may pop and crackle bit more, but I wouldn't think tune is a necessity.

Edited by Wardski

If I am getting a custom tune I would probably throw a few more performance parts on the car then get it tuned, not just the midpipe, but hey that's just me.

It's not but I can get it tuned and get more power out of it whether I was getting a mid pipe or not so I don't see why not