SAU Community

Importing A 370Gt Type Sp Sight Unseen

miqmaq

I'm about to start this journey to import a 2010 model should the budget allow.

JLImports comes across as reputable and I have yet to investigate IronChef.

It's wierd to put the money up front, pay purchase, shipping, import duty, etcetera and not see the vehicle until the deed is done.

Provided the broker is reputable it seems to make more sense to go this way rather than buying from a car yard in the premise that you'll spend less and (hopefully) get the car you want.

Any advice, gotchas or 'Take heed brother!' advice?

Hi Ian, it's not an uncommon question - while the whole concept seems foreign to most people the first time, bear in mind that we've done it many many times before ;)

We have processes in place that ensure the quality of our stock, in the end having good buyers in Japan who check cars in the metal at auction is paramount. Having quality business connections and experience to handle any dramas that sometimes arise are the measure of a good broker.

Great to get that response Kristian. I'm trying to narrow down the options list and colour combo.

Chris R most helpful in pointing out GPS is just an option so don't get it.

Read also in www.autozine.org (fun read that) to stay away from the 4WS system - he was referencing the late 2008 model I think.

I also heard that any cars on the auction block that are modified in any way have to be taken back to stock to be compliant. At the link below is what sounds like a nice ride with: Full 2.5 inch ARK Exhaust with high flow cats, dual pod air intakes. So this must be after market here in Oz.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/nissan-skyline-2008-14634291?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=1&eapi=2&__N=4294686019%201621%204294678014%201246%201252%201247%201282%204294963846%204294963593%201216&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Year%3a2008%2c2012&sort=default

Anyhoo, that car's got the mustard (fauve) interior. Noice!

Any ideas what the full all up cost to import a 2010 model might be? (automatic, titanium grey preferred, no GPS, 30,000 KM or under in tip top nick.

I'm just askin!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mate,

I just got a black 2010 SP through j-spec. It was 4.5 grade and turned up in superb condition.

It has Volk 19's, RSR suspension and an Impul body kit.

16,000kms

All up it cost me $45k to get it complied, registered including everything in NSW.

Great car!

Hi Mate,

I just got a black 2010 SP through j-spec. It was 4.5 grade and turned up in superb condition.

It has Volk 19's, RSR suspension and an Impul body kit.

16,000kms

All up it cost me $45k to get it complied, registered including everything in NSW.

Great car!

Thanks DJ Volatile. That's where I'm headed.

You would have got a Navi car I suspect. I'm not hung up on the GPS not working for Oz but would be interested what you change or find out if you do make any changes to your sweet ride.

I'm thinking here about issues with using blue tooth and plugging things in via USB. How long did the whole import process take from whoa to go out of interest? Make sure you post some pics!

Hey Ian,

I imported mine about 2 years ago now and couldn't be happier. The GPS issue is a pain in the ass but living in Perth, if you really need a GPS, you'd be a bit of a retard.

As long as you go through a reputable broker (ie. Mr Chef), then you really have nothing to worry about. I paid about $40k on the road for mine, it was auction grade 5A and when it arrived in Aus, the compliance workshop, delivery truck driver and even the licencing inspector all commented that it looked like a brand new car. They couldn't believe that it was over three years old at the time. To this day I still have people think I'm lying when I tell them that its a 5 year old car. I think that many Japanese really just take good care of their cars and that the horror stories that you hear about when importing are generally older cars. You should be able to get a mint 2010 for around the $40k mark.

My advice to you is to figure out what you want, set your budget and then wait for the perfect example to come around. There are dozens of them at auction every week, so if you are patient, the perfect car will eventually come along. I am jealous because the exchange rate is even better now than it was 2 years ago, so with a little luck you should score yourself a bargain.

Also remember to keep some money aside for the inevitable 'mods'. All of the best gear comes out of the US and shipping is a KILLER!

Oh, one more thing, don't get a silver one!!! Everyone seems to get silver! It's that bad that my grey one stands out a mile! There is a blue one rolling around Perth and even though I generally don't like blue on a car, the V36 looks hot in blue. White is another colour that seems to suit the V36 very well for some reason.

Good luck!

Well done Alkatraz. I like that you're in Perth and had it all handled by Chef in Brisbane. Glad that worked out well and very encouraging for me. I'm with you on the grey. Greatly appreciate your response. Cheers.

Well done Alkatraz. I like that you're in Perth and had it all handled by Chef in Brisbane. Glad that worked out well and very encouraging for me. I'm with you on the grey. Greatly appreciate your response. Cheers.

I didn't actually go through Iron Chef, I went through a local guy, Geoff at Prestige Motorsport. I was simply nervous at the time and wanted to go through someone local so that I could go and knock on his door if anything went seriously wrong....if you know what I mean. Iron Chef just has a very good rep on here so if I was to import again, I would consider going through him.