SAU Community

Battery Wire???

inark

hmmm... i think i pretty much got everything in correctly but i dont think the old stereo/cassette that was in my line had a wire directly to the battery... which is a ***er because my kenwood unit wont work (i think this is why it wont work im not too sure) as i cant find a wire to hook it directly to the battery... ive got it hooked up to some wire that on the old radio says "13.4v Back up" or something.

anyone got any clues on this one?

well i think ive done it... it turns on... plays my mp3 cds and what not... whether or not its gonna short circuit or not wont be known til whenever it burns down :)

i just ignored the diag that was on the nissan stereo and plugged them into where ever until it turned on... but i forgot to earth it and when i did it turned on whenever it touched the metal... so i assume its hooked up properly lol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GR33DyMANGO

instead of buying a digital multimeter u can just buy a test light, which is a pen looking thing with wire that connects to the car body(earth) and a little light in the pen. they r really really cheap. just go to a car shop like marlows(dont know if thats australia wide?) and it should be a few dollars:D

then just touch it on each wire and when the light turns on with the ancillary off(ie engine off) u have found the constant 12v positive battery wire u are after:)

note that if you don't connect the probes earth lead to a proper earth (bare metal - can use the ignition slot for the keys if nowhere else), then you will blow a fuse or two (hoping you have a fuse backing it up!)