SAU Community

V35 Rwc Queries For Vicroads

I just purchased an '03 Skyline 350GT coupe and since studying VicRoads documentation, I've become nervous about the RWC check given that workshops are under tighter restrictions.

The seller was a mechanic and assured me that all modifications took place in Japan, prior to the car being imported. It is currently registered, however I need to supply VicRoads with a RWC (within 28 days) in order to transfer the car into my name.

Non-stock items:

- K&N filter - I believe these are oil treated and not permitted by the EPA.

- Carbon fibre bonnet with vents - I don't have any documents to go with this.

- 20" rims - it was possible to have 19" factory fitted wheels, so I hope these are within the 2" allowance.

- dual exhaust - this appears to be within the 90dB limit, however I haven't done a sound pressure test yet.

-------------------

| WTB items | I've posted about these in the WTB section - please contact me there..

-------------------

- airbox, pipe etc. similar to this: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/uploads/monthly_05_2012/post-11043-0-07754500-1338078316_thumb.jpg

- stock silver coupe bonnet (preferably in as-new condition.)

- driver & passenger side electric window motors (incase I'm unable to recondition mine.)

- 17" rims with roadworthy tires: p225/50r17 93w, p235/50vr17 95w.

- Brembo brakes (not an essential item.)

- driver & passenger side premium seats (interested for the right price, as these ones are aged.)

Any assistance would be appreciated.. I'm new to the forums & plan to be an active member with some advanced technology mods (not mechanical.)

I've tried searching for these parts from the wreckers, however prices are high given that it's an import. I was told I'd be lucky to find a coupe bonnet, so a RWC may not be possible in 28 days.

Some mechanics have been recommended for RWC in Clayton/Springvale etc. However they weren't able to say whether a carbon fibre bonnet would be acceptable.

Please contact me if you can help. I'll upload photos when it stops raining :yes:

The mechanic was a liar - the car would have had to be COMPLETELY STOCK (as in like it rolled off the production line) when it passed compliance. No ifs, and, or buts. There is no way to get around this.

Pretty sure a pod of any variety (unless fully enclosed in a box), is NOT technically ok.

There is no chance in hell your bonnet is ADR compliant - as far as I am aware, NO carbon fibre bonnets make the ADR grade - as in an impact test ALL carbon bonnets shear - resulting in slicing and dicing of pedestrians.

No, 2003 V35s DID NOT have 19" rims as an option - only the 2005+ Series 2 and 3 did. Base model rims were 17", and the premiums 18". You should get away with the 2" rule - depends on what tire placard the compliance workshop put on your car - look inside the drivers door sill. If they put the 17" info on there, source a 18" sticker - can't be too hard. But beware the track width of your 20" rims, as if they are even half decent offset, they will fall outside ADR regulations on track width.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks Andrew,

The mechanic was a liar - the car would have had to be COMPLETELY STOCK..

Agreed - I'm always cautious of a mechanic who doesn't have a decent amount of grease under their fingernails. I took this into consideration when making my offer, which is why I was able to purchase it for below the market value. If the car was imported with modifications, I would assume that these would have to be certified by a local engineer and VicRoads doesn't have any paperwork on file to confirm this. The car is fitted with a magenta Personal Import Plate and VicRoads confirmed that it was supplied by a VASS (Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme) signatory.

Pretty sure a pod of any variety (unless fully enclosed in a box), is NOT technically ok.

I was reading the EPA guidelines. http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/~/media/Publications/1031.pdf

They state that: "Dry element pod type air cleaners are permitted on EFI vehicles. Oiled, oil-soaked or fluid-treated elements are not permitted."
The K&N filter fitted appears to be this:

69-7080TS.jpg

K&N 69-7080-1TS - 69 Series Typhoon Kits (recommended for the 350gt coupe.)

I believe that these filters are oil treated and therefore not roadworthy.

There is no chance in hell your bonnet is ADR compliant.

I thought this would be the case. Even though I've seen many people driving around with what appear to be carbon fibre bonnets, they would have to be certified to ensure that they are appropriately fixed to the vehicle and that the material used won't become dangerous in an accident. I'm having difficulty locating a v35 coupe bonnet and was wondering whether I should get the bonnet painted so that it doesn't stand out.

If I can't locate a bonnet, I'll have to look at selling this one. There is a seller on Ebay who sells them for $900.

$T2eC16N,!ykE9s7tvU0eBRZCFiQRTw~~60_12.J

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Skyline-V35-CPV35-350GT-Top-Secret-style-Carbon-Fibre-Bonnet-/111049405950

No, 2003 V35s DID NOT have 19" rims as an option - only the 2005+ Series 2 and 3 did. Base model rims were 17", and the premiums 18". You should get away with the 2" rule - depends on what tire placard the compliance workshop put on your car - look inside the drivers door sill. If they put the 17" info on there, source a 18" sticker - can't be too hard.

I wasn't sure of the factory options, as the owners manual supplied contained limited information.

I was browsing Nissan's Japanese website (http://history.nissan.co.jp/index.html) to find an official specifications sheet.

They state:

"FRONT TIRES: 225/50R17 94V REAR TIRES: 235/50R17 96V, FRONT RIMS: 17 × 7.5JJ REAR RIMS: 17 × 8.0JJ" as standard for v35 automatic premium coupe,

with the option of upgrading to:

"FRONT TIRES: 225/40R19 89W REAR TIRES: 245/40R19 94W, FRONT RIMS: 19 × 8.0JJ REAR RIMS: 19 × 8.5JJ"

ttp://history.nissan.co.jp/SKYLINE/V35/0411/DATA/main1_2.html#m7

That catalogue was published until 11th November 2005.

VicRoads Vehicle Standards Information - Guide to Modifications for Motor Vehicles states:

" The width of any replacement rim must not be:

more than 25mm greater than the widest wheel specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series; or less than the width of the narrowest rim specified."
" The overall diameter of any replacement rim and tyre must not be:
- more than 15mm greater than largest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series; or
- more than 15mm less than the smallest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series."
" Rim and tyre combinations must be in accordance with the recommendations contained in the Tyre and Rim Standards Manual published by the Tyre and Rim Association of Australia and have a load and speed rating equal to or better than that required by the standards "

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/9B3A858D-15A0-4572-90BF-3D08214BF7BE/0/VSInumber8Guidetomodificationsformotorvehicles.pdf

I haven't been able to located a copy of the TRSM, however I used an online calculator to check to see whether the rim & tyre size were in line with the original specifications.

19" rims were available for the v35 series, so hopefully this is sufficient for roardworthy.

When I purchased the car I was surprised that there wasn't a tire placard on the drivers side door sill. Does anyone know where I can source an 18" or 19" sticker? Are these only supplied by the compliance workshop?

I'll have to double check the rim & tire specifications when I'm at home to confirm what has been fitted.

Thanks again for your help, it's great that these forums are active and people are helpful. :yes: Hopefully I can obtain the parts that I need to pass RWC and get the car on the road.

I can't wait to drive it!

No worries thom - we are all about helping each other here.

Regarding your comment "If the car was imported with modifications, I would assume that these would have to be certified by a local engineer and VicRoads doesn't have any paperwork on file to confirm this" - this is not correct. At SEVS compliance the car has to be STOCK. As in how it rolled off the factory line. You CAN'T get any modifications engineered prior to compliance. If the car was modified out of Japan, someone changed all the mod parts out for stock, got it complied, then put them back on. This is pretty common.

And again, almost ALL carbon bonnets are completely illegal. Doesn't stop people running them, and I personally love them. Yes, if you don't want cop attention, get the carbon painted the same colour as your car. Or even better get it plasti-dip sprayed, and then if/when you want the carbon look again, you can just peel the plasti-dip off. Also note that you REALLY don't want to run a vented bonnet in winter - your engine bay will constantly fill with water, and you do not want this. Many people I know run an oem bonnet in winter, then change to vented for the warmer months.

As I said, the 05+ premium came with 19" rims - the 03/04 DID NOT. It wasn't even an option. But it depends on how anal Vicroads are going to be about it. My guess is they would go off your tyre placard. If I were you I would contact the compliance workshop (should be listed on your purple sticker) and point out that you don't have one - I am sure they would post you out one, as to not have one technically makes them in breach of SEVS, which could see them stripped of their compliance certification (which cost them $100k+ to get). Make sure you point out you want the 18" sticker, then you can legally go to 20" without any issues.

To tell you the truth, they don't even check the tyre placards during RWC or vicroads inspection, I've imported a dozen cars and not once have I been stopped at Vicroads rego for the wrong tyre placard.

You must have bumped into a tightass RWC workshop.

On a side note, I have a full stock intake for 2003 coupe that your after.

How about $150? The filter inside is brand new as well.

located Melbourne, if you want it then PM me

You must have bumped into a tightass RWC workshop.

Maybe I'm stressed - I've called around to all of the places recommended for doing RWC on imported/modified cars. The mechanics told me they can't approve carbon fibre bonnets and they have to be strict on the other modifcations that are performed as well. It looks like everyone is being strict at the moment.

I think you may be reading the rim size rules wrong. The way I read them the rim diameter doesn't come into the equation - they are talking about the rim width, and the tyre diameter (not the rim diameter). As long as your tyre's diameter is no more than 15mm larger than the largest size on the sticker, and no more than 15mm smaller than the smallest size, you will be fine. If you have 20" rims you just have to have lower profile tyres, which I'm sure you already have. There are lots of online tyre calculators you can use to confirm your sizes - I use http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html. The standard tyres on my 03 Coupe are 225/45 x 18 front (659.7mm diameter) and 245/45 x 18 rear (677.7mm diameter).

Having said that I've got a stock set of 17" Coupe rims that I'd happily swap for your 20's :no:

There used to be a 2" rule, but I'm pretty sure it's been replaced by the 15mm rule (as above). I am certain this is the case in SA, and believe it is in other states.

Even so, 18" was an OEM size on the 350GT Coupe, so a 20" rim would fit within the 2" rule, and should be fine as long as the tyre diameter is within 15mm of stock.

I haven't read anything about a 2" rule yet - but I've heard it mentioned on many forums, so I assume it came from some guidelines document.

There's a lot of information for understanding the guidelines on tires & rims:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP11_Section_LS_Tyres_Suspension_Steering_V2_1Jan_2011%20v3.pdf

This is from:

Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14 (VSB 14) - has a lot of details about what can be done:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx

VSI-14 also refers to:

ADR 42—General Safety Requirements: covers tire & rims:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/adr_online.aspx

Too much reading... I'm happy with 20" rims provided they get a RWC. :worship:

Regarding carbon fibre bonnets,

VSI-14 - Body & Chassis Modifications, outlines what is required for fibreglass parts, however I haven't read anything anywhere about carbon fibre being ADR approved.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP6_Section_LH_Body_and_Chassis_01Jan2011_v3.pdf

Maybe I'm stressed - I've called around to all of the places recommended for doing RWC on imported/modified cars. The mechanics told me they can't approve carbon fibre bonnets and they have to be strict on the other modifcations that are performed as well. It looks like everyone is being strict at the moment.

I recently just got my V35 on the road and registered, It's best to source out any car friends you have. I'm sure one of them is a mechanic and can possibly work something out for you.

One flaw I have read in this discussion is how did the V35 get registered before your ownership, with all the modifications listed above if all of the modifcations were done in Japan? Please correct me if I am mistaken, but at the moment this seems a bit fishy to me.

Regarding carbon fibre bonnets,

VSI-14 - Body & Chassis Modifications, outlines what is required for fibreglass parts, however I haven't read anything anywhere about carbon fibre being ADR approved.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP6_Section_LH_Body_and_Chassis_01Jan2011_v3.pdf

One of the reasons Carbon Fibre is illegal as in an event of an accident, it can break into a thousand peices which can stab you (so I've been told in exactly that explanation by vicpol) in comparison to fibre glass, it crumbles in an accident thus reducing risk of injury

^^^ private, the answer to that is easy (and I answered it above) - it would have been put completely back to stock for compliance (as it HAS to be), complied like that, then put through RWC. After that all the goodies put back on.