SAU Community

Charging R35 Battery Help

Hey guys, since my GTR isn't a daily driver anymore I'm looking for the best way to charge the car battery to keep it topped up.

The garage I have work on the car say to not hook up a standard top up charger as it could short circuit and brick the car and its internal computer.

Is there anything to watch for by disconnecting power to the car for 2 days while the battery is unplugged from the car and hooked up to a standard charger?

Please anyone have a clue on this i'm completely lost on what to use.

Thanks

Better off getting the 8 stage Ctek so that you know the battery has been cycled properly, then kept in maintenance mode..

MXS 5.0 v1 is what I would recommend.

I also have a Ctek battery level LED indicator strapped to my battery which has a Ctek female connector for easy charging and monitoring.

• 2 weeks later...

Been using CTEK chargers for at least 6 years now without any problems EXCEPT when I did exactly what the instructions tell you not to do and plugged the charger into the power supply and then connected it to the battery and killed it dead . Make sure you read the instructions as some models have several charging modes. I have one car with an Optima battery that has been on the maintenance cycle for most of the last 6 years and the battery seems as good as new.