SAU Community

Unexpected places for ACT speed cameras

hey guys i thought this thread might be a good idea for some of us to post in.

basically i thought it would help if we put up places where we have seen speed cameras that we may not expect them or we rarely see them, so we can be carefull around certain areas we may have thought we'd be ok to have a blast in.

(note not speeding would be the best bet, but for most of us with the cars we have, the temptation is to great)

i guess i'll start, on drakeford drive heading out towards issabella plains i got busted by a cop car hiding in the bushes with a radar gun, i was doing about 150k in my lancer last yr and all of a sudden i saw them, i jammed on the brakes but only slowed down to 125 b4 they saw me, so they were well hidden as i only slowed down 25k with the brakes jammed on. they chased me down and kicked my ass heavily.

also there has been a speed van once or twice on the turn onto namatjira from hindmarsh dr. its a very random spot but if u hammer through the corner then u'll be almost certainly done.

feel free to add guys, i hope those 2 helped.

Yeah mate, good plan. I've recently moved back to my olds after breaking up with my girl, and have seen a speed van at the bottom of Kerrigan street in Fraser/Charnwood just before it goes into Dunlop (near Shakespeare Cres entrance) almost every morning on the way to work. You can really hammer down that street. Before the chicanes got put in, used to be able to get airborne!!

Yeah that would be sensible, but its hard not to give it a little blat every now and again. And I'm one of the most sensible ones, had my licence for 8 tears and not a single infringment. Very proud of that although some say I'm a *****..

they park them on maribyrnong ave in kaleen a lot down near one of the primary schools. i've been caught by it once by surprise, i was only going 69 in a 60.

but at night i see them always parked behind signs on the side of the road trying to look inconspicuous. isn't there a law or something that says they have to be visable to a certain extent? hiding behind signs or in bushes is hardly visable

well, if any of u live in the Kambah area, be careful on Livingston Avenue (the one that goes past the Kambah Pizza/Takeaway place)....

I go that way cos it's quicker than Athlon when there's lot's of traffic, and it joins Sulwood at the top...but the white van has been there a few times :P

Coming home from the city, I was going down the Parkway, I hit the straight stretch from just past the zoo to the Curtin turn-off, and just past that turnoff in the bush was the gold/purple ford cop car. He has perfect veiw of over a kilometre of straight road. That twice now he has been there at bout 11pm onward on a weeknight.

Luckily I was in my daily driver, [suzuki sierra] and was just cruising on the limit, becuase you dont notice him until your smack infront of him, even with your highbeams on, with the angle of the incline its difficult.

If you're taking the backroad that goes between Lyons & Weston, it's probably not a wise action to come flying up the hill (coming towards Weston)....more often than not, just as I come over the crest of the hill there's a camera van sitting right under the parkway overpass.

Coming home from the city, I was going down the Parkway, I hit the straight stretch from just past the zoo to the Curtin turn-off, and just past that turnoff in the bush was the gold/purple ford cop car. He has perfect veiw of over a kilometre of straight road. That twice now he has been there at bout 11pm onward on a weeknight.

Luckily I was in my daily driver, [suzuki sierra] and was just cruising on the limit, becuase you dont notice him until your smack infront of him, even with your highbeams on, with the angle of the incline its difficult.

that's some good info, i regularly drive north on the parkway to belco at that time, i'll make sure i'm right on 100 as i come to the underpass. sometimes down the hill it sneaks up to 110 - 120 without me noticing