SAU Community

Nissan factory keyless entry remote

Is anyone else using the Nissan remote still ?

I have the Nissan car key that is held in a black plastic remote casing and has 1 button on it for keyless entry.

When I opened it to change the button battery in it, I saw a bit of circuitry and a a lil dial which I assume is to dial in the frequency to what you need.

The reason for this thread:

My remote casing is physically dying and I want to do something about it.

I've heard that you can get some car audio shop to duplicate the functionality of the factory remote and you end up with a standalone remote that you can keep as a spare, etc.

Has anyone ever had this done or know where I can get this done ?

Like anything in NSW, I assume they send it away to someone in Melbourne.

I know this is a bit hard to have done outside the original manufacturer with new cars as they have messages going back and forth from the car to the remote so you can't easily duplicate it for anything under 100 bucks.

Would appreciate any feedback from those in the know. Otherwise I fear I may have to one day engineer a wallnut shell and some chewing gum to be a replacement...or worse case scenario involves buying a new central locking kit because its the only feasible option.

I had the same problem with another car you can get remotes that save your existing frequency.

You just hold your old remote and the new remote close together, press and hold your old remote button, while holding the old remote button press and hold the new remote button and it saves the frequency to the new remote giving you a new remote or back up.

Thanks camandcandice - I guess that'll do the trick. Sounds risky and I don't think I'll ever let my remote out of my sight again. But thats what I am going to have to get. Do you have any details for me ? I'd like to chase this up. A shop/contact name and price would be great.

The standard camry's had a similar option.

Basically if you have an existing remote entry key, you pu it into a reader located in the glovebox for 5 seconds, removed it, put in the blank remote key you purchase from Toyota for $40 and you now have two.

Although you need the original key...

Possibly you could talk to an alarm company who can incorporate remote entry into the alarm - then you can get rid of what you have ??

Its called a universal remote you can purchase one from your nearest Ashdown you will have to look the address up. But there is a store in sydney not to sure where its situated though. Other wise you could try your local Autobarn or Repco.

Go to your local DSE and pick up a learning remote about 39 bucks, open it up using the supplied screwdriver place the jumper on it and hold it next to the original remote hold down the appropriate buttons and voila it learns the code.

Once finished remove the jumper assemble the remote and away you go.

Too easy

After a bit of surfing (thanks to some guidance), here are the options I found:

-> Jaycar. Brand unknown. 4 Buttons. $45. Frequency range 250mHz to 450mHz.

-> Tandy. Rhino brand. 4 Buttons. $40 on special (else $50). Frequency range 255MHz to 500MHz

-> Dick Smith. Same as the Rhino version above but without the special, so $50.

The next step is to sort out the different frequencies. Do I take a punt at the wider frequency of 255-500, or am I the guy who is going to need the 250-255 because the Nissan remote requires this ?

If anyone doesn't know any better, I'll go for the 255-500 and let you guys know what happens so you can learn from my mistake.

• 3 years later...

Here's a quick update on this situation.

Bought the remocon off Ebay, which is the same product as the Tandy Rhino version.

Tried everything I could to get the thing to learn, but it didn't.

It may be that my button is too unreliable for me to get it to work while I am trying to get the learning remote to catch the signal.

As it stands, I have disected the original remote down to what looks like a nice little PCB with a few components around the main button. The button moves around a little, so I'm wondering if I could just find someone on SAU who is an electronics guru who would be able to replace this for me.

The PCB has different circuitry on the back than the front, so I am unable to figure out how the button is attached to the PCB. Usually the PCB has the same tracks underneath, so you can easily de-solder the button from the underside and replace it that way.

Any ideas ?

As it stands, I have to break both thumbs trying to get the button to work.

Some times it needs a sensitive touch and some times it wants to get rough.

Some times it takes a few seconds, and some times it takes 5-10 painful minutes. Not fun in the rain.

I have an upgrade alarm dependent on this, so quite limited in what my alternatives are.

Unless you guys can come up with something ?