SAU Community

Hicas Help And Power Steering

Adz2332

Hey all,

I have a GTST 33 im building up as a cheap track car.

Ive removed the HICAS set up totally inside and under the car.

Thats before i read that the HICAS computer also does something with the power steering?

Now ive read and read and read but no where does it tell you how to fix this?

can anyone shed some light or help me with a way to fix this, short of putting it all back in!?

\Thanks

Hey all,

I have a GTST 33 im building up as a cheap track car.

Ive removed the HICAS set up totally inside and under the car.

Thats before i read that the HICAS computer also does something with the power steering?

Now ive read and read and read but no where does it tell you how to fix this?

can anyone shed some light or help me with a way to fix this, short of putting it all back in!?

\Thanks

I removed the bits outside and installed a lock bar. For the inside, I removed the HICAS light so that it didn't glow on my cluster. Not sure what else you can do easily apart from putting the HICAS computer back in.

• 3 months later...

Assuming you want to keep power steering but leave out HICAS, you can check this out:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/412603-diydisable-hicas-retain-power-steering-for-free/

The HICAS ECU controls the proportional power steering by sending power to a solenoid on the rack, if you take it out, there is no power to the solenoid and you lose power steering.

I've done the same thing to my car when the HICAS light came on and I was too lazy to fix/diagnose. 10 000km and no issues and the car doesn't feel too light at speed either.

I pulled my hicas out and left the HICAS ECU in and the car has been fine power steering wise for years up until when I just changed the engine and from powet fc to link. Now the power steering proportional solenoid works alot of the time but then sometimes doesnt work at all.

I say just pull the HICAS out and then see how it goes. If it plays up then you can just rip the HICAS ECU out and put 12v to the power steering solenoid (which I think is explained in the thread linked above)

Im pretty close to doing this at the moment