SAU Community

Alloy Airbox. Eoi

Trex

Some of you might remember I had those deflectors re made for people using the std cooler and intake. About a week later I installed a front mount and pod and that was fine in winter. Now that it's coming into summer I needed to find a way to keep intake temps cooler. So I've come up with this airbox, I like this one better than any other one I've seen (I'm not biased at all) I'll be using the hole left over from the cooler return under the box to run some pipe to the lhs front grill for cold air.

Would anyone else be interested in one?

And what should I change to make it better/looks nicer?

Also is cardboard flammable? I might use alloy like the deflectors

post-108100-0-19533500-1389858981_thumb.jpg

Yes cardboard is flammable.

Aluminium would be fine. Some people use Perspex which you can bend with a heat gun.

Or you could use one of your deflectors with the stock airbox and maybe run some extra air into the airbox from behind the headlight.

Lol thanks bob. I'm really keen to get some alloy and cut one out

Something like this? It's going to cost too much to get one made I think.

Yep you can get quite thin aluminium which is easy to bend and cut with some tinsnips or a nibbler if you have or can borrow one.

I was kidding about the cardboard part guys haha

I'm going to use 0.8 like the deflector. No way would I use tin snips, I was thinking maybe a jigsaw with fine teeth or a dremel or a die grinder?

I was kidding about the cardboard part guys haha

I'm going to use 0.8 like the deflector. No way would I use tin snips, I was thinking maybe a jigsaw with fine teeth or a dremel or a die grinder?

A while since I did some metalwork but I think for soft metals such as aluminium you need coarse not fine teeth. This is a nibbler - they are quite expensive or you can (like I did) get a cheap attachment that goes in an electric drill from a store such as Bunnings:

http://www.makita.co.nz/products/detail.lsd?item=JN1601&-session=Makita:7694CC8C02dc220C0EsKHxACAECB

That looks pretty good! Thanks bob!

I made these a while ago and I'm just throwing up pics now because I'll get it done soon. Here was another intake I made, but they're going to be way too much effort for my skill level

post-108100-0-47374600-1389921352_thumb.jpg

That looks pretty good! Thanks bob!

I made these a while ago and I'm just throwing up pics now because I'll get it done soon. Here was another intake I made, but they're going to be way too much effort for my skill level

You've done all the hard work. Just flatten out the cardboard and draw around it ...cut out the shapes and then bend!

I bought a heli guy nibbler off eBay. I saw a youtube vid of one and was amazed at how clean and easy the cuts were! Thanks again bob :)

Ok haha I'll try and make the intake part, I really don't have that kind of skill though.

A while since I did some metalwork but I think for soft metals such as aluminium you need coarse not fine teeth. <br /><br />Lol must have been quite a while ago. You need a fine tooth blade for metal work

I'm not too sure yet glyn. I was thinking about that last night,

It really depends on what people think they're worth, as it really is just a top and side piece that is put together by 3 small L brackets, and it is not fully enclosed (it looks it, and almost is). I will still like the look of this better than any other one Iv'e seen for sale.

I'm guessing anywhere from $80? It will take around 2 hours to make, and the cost of picking up the goods and the goods themselves. But I personally don't think too many people will buy one, if someone wants one i will make it.

I've just found some rubber edging. and the exact same bolts that are used on the deflector, so it will tie in perfectly. :)