SAU Community

Water And Pods

Maddog309

Hey guys, pod on my car is currently sitting near wheel arch... I know... I know... I bought it like that and have a pipe being made up to be able to sit it up top again. But anyway, I was driving home from work tonight, and it began to rain, I didn't go through puddles or anything remotely close to it, but the water from the rain was causing the car to drive pretty, then it also stalled out a couple of times. Could this effect my engine in anyway? as I said, the pod was at no point fully submerged in water or even close to it. But if it was sucking in the rain water, can that cause any damage to my engine.

I don't drive at all when its raining, its just tonight it decided to start raining while I was driving home from work -_- really hope I haven't caused any damage.

My cold air intake draws from in front of the passenger's wheel. Not one drop of water goes up into the factory airbox from there. A pod hung in that location should also be fine.

A wet pod filter or wet AFM will generally cause trouble though. Did you feel the pod to see how wet it got?

When I had my XR6 Turbo with pod in the guard I sucked a lot of water in one day and the car stalled. I got all the water out and let it sit over night.

I started it the next day and it ran a little rough but eventually dried up.

Yeah true. One of my friends had the same problem, but he unfortunately went through a puddle, and the whole pod was submerged in water and sucked a shitload in. Blew his engine two weeks later. So the main thing im asking is, as long as the pods not fully submerged, a little bit of water isn't going to effect the engine? I plan on fixing this asap just for peace of mind lol. The rain wasn't real hard, but it was causing the car to stall out a couple, sitting on the side of the road starting my car a couple times wasn't fun haha.

Is there a way of checking these things or? sorry guys, Im pretty paranoid about keeping my car healthy, going to uni atm and dont have the dollars for a new rebuild But I love my skyline too much to sell it. Would checking the oil for milky deposits be a good indication whether water has gotten that far? I know that im probably just being paranoid.

If you're that paranoid, just take out the cooler and let it drip into a container and check the oil that comes out of it. depending on your setup, cover the hole that the old smic has left, and make a cover for the pod blocking off the headlight etc... Put the standard airbox back in.

But really you're just being paranoid. ;) Just don't flog it when it rains, and steer away from puddles.

If water was to do any damage, it would be done by now. If you car drives and runs, then its ok I'd say.

If you paranoid about driving in the rain either get a stock airbox or possible make a shield for relocate the pod...