SAU Community

Help, R33 Gtr Gearbox Removal

Hi

I need the help of someone who has removed a GTR box before. I have gotten to the stage of removing the box, however when I got to rotate the box, to lower the starter motor bump I can only rotate 20-30 degrees. Then the box starts to bind up in the tunnel with the box starting to hit on the left side and the metal where the gear selector hole is on the right.

The guides indicate to rotate from anywhere from 45 to upside down. Do I need to lower the box/engine more? If so how far, do you just let it drop until it stops wanting to drop? Also do you undo engine mounts or is only undoing the intercooler pipes required?

Thank you for anyone that can assist.

Peter

AFAIK the floorpan is the same on the 32, and no need to undo engine mounts or intercooler pipes. They're an utter bastard to get out....IIRC i lowered the rear of the engine as far as it would go, and had to be more brutal than I was comfortable with.

Yeah no need to undo engine mounts.

You need to support the box to the point where there not to much weight on the input shaft so as you rotate and lower at the same time it will slide off the shaft. Can sometimes need a little help to get started with a big screw driver, but be ready cause when it does let go,

Thanx I will give it a try. I was unsure how far you drop it. Sounds like you let it swing till it stops. Wasn't sure if it would crush something going that far. I can rotate and move it around easy enough, but couldn't get the clearance to rotate it enough. Not sure if I had to remove anything else besides the gear shifter as it is the collar where the gear shifter sits that is binding up in the tunnel.

Sounds like u could be rotating too far, to early.

I also undo the cooler pipe from turbo ( single ) and pipe from front of intake mani so when engine drops back it doesn't put too much pressure them.