SAU Community

HKS Super Drager or A'PEXi N1?

Greg

Ok this is the deal:

I can save around $200 by getting the N1, but it comes with 60mm piping as opposed to the 65mm piping of the super drager (remember I'm NA).

Also I'm not sure if I'll be happy with the look and sound of the N1. I have heard good things about the sound of the HKS.

Be careful,

NA engines need backpresure. The biger the exhaust the less backpresure but the higher the flow. Backpresure does not aply to turbo motors due to the fact that althoug backpresure is lost it is no comparison the the amout of power gained due to the increase in overall flow of exhaust gasses alowing the turbo to operate much eayser.

On an NA car the loss of backpresure is much more evident. I had a 2 1/2" exhaust on my 2ltr SSS pulsar (go the SR20DE :) ) *duck*, the take off was crap I would come close to stalling every take off unless I was launching. The revs up top were awsome though. the benifits of this exhaust did not come into effect untill I got to about 5 grand and above. Not to practical for street use. I was told that the optimal size for thiss motor was 2 1/8", 2 1/4" max other wise as I had witnessed the los in backpresure wound makt the motor impractible. The result was fitting the stock exhaust back on and I can tell u thats when the fun started. Much more zippyer. Unless I highly modified the motor (cams, increase compresion, chip, etc) I wold not gain any real benifit from the 2 1/2" exhaust.

This does not mean you cant put a better exhaust on you NA car. Just be careful not to go to big at this stage. I recomend that you speek to a couple exhaust joints. Mufler Man in parhan know their stuff. The problem with the apexi exhausts and HKS exhausts is that they are designed for turbo cars where loss of backpresure is not too important.

Happy hunting,

Adam

Originally posted by Greg

i won't get that popping sound because i'm NA, right?

yes you would get the popping, even if ya fitted any bigger zorst.

I used to years ago have a gemini after fitting a bigger zorst it suddenly got the pop's mostly happens when backing off while staying in gear.

DAMQIK

i had a standard exhaust on my VB 3.3L commonwhore with extractors and it was like the extractors werent there

when i put on a 2 1/2" zaust the power was more easily avail instead on it trying to breathe out a straw

i dont notice any loss in low down revs or speed ands its got da old tri-matic gearbox :)

maybe it only does it for smaller engines :shake: