SAU Community

Happy Laps - Queensland Raceway 20-07-14

Cadmoon

First off, get rid of Hicas. Then buy everything! Springs, shocks/coilovers, castor rods, camber arms, replace bushes, alloy rear cradle mounts the list goes on.

Stick your head in here and have a read

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/forum/59-suspension-braking-and-tyres/

That's more effort than you put into my lists... Why is it that when I ask you wave your hand and respond with everything :P

Suspension is a trade off however....

alloy subframe bushes etc probably are to harsh for regular steer bushes I think

I have alloy subframe bushes in mine and they aren't harsh at all.

That's more effort than you put into my lists... Why is it that when I ask you wave your hand and respond with everything :P

Because yours needs everything as well? It's the same in each car depending what it has done already, if stock then everything. Where to start is the question.

I have alloy subframe bushes in mine and they aren't harsh at all.

Because yours needs everything as well? It's the same in each car depending what it has done already, if stock then everything. Where to start is the question.

So I was thinking right that you have alloy bushes, I didn't say anything incase you didn't have them and I was thinking of SKY...

Well, that response was more serious than I was expecting... Something along the lines of because needs less pink 33 is more your usual answer...

Screw budget man. Ill buy stuff eventurely .. List it up :)

What sort of handling are you after? This will determine how much stuff you replace.

I have finished with my suspension now and I have:

Bigger wheels and tyres

Coilovers

Strut braces

Sway bars with HD links

Front and rear camber arms

Front and rear castor rods

Polyurethane diff bushes

Solid (not alloy tho) subframe mounts

HICAS eliminator kit

Total replacement of remaining factory bushes with polyurethane including steering rack bushes

Front and rear LCA ball joints

Steering rack tie rod ends

Rear wheel bearings

The car now handles amazing ans is still easily drivable on the street, it makes a few more noises and has some diff whine but I don't mind that.

There's a list for you Mel :P

all good. Ima gonna fabricate some brake ducts and also get the rotors the right way round lol

thats a good start but the national isnt any worse on brakes cause youve got the long back straight to cool them down,also depends on how hard on your brakes you are,normal braking and engine braking will do the job.ie gear changes.

thats a good start but the national isnt any worse on brakes cause youve got the long back straight to cool them down,also depends on how hard on your brakes you are,normal braking and engine braking will do the job.ie gear changes.

Notional ruins brakes, that long back straight lets you build up some serious speed and then it ends in a very tight corner.

Notional ruins brakes, that long back straight lets you build up some serious speed and then it ends in a very tight corner.

then again it has been along time since we have done it,but ive never had any brake problems when i have done it,maybe not going fast enough,lol.

then again it has been along time since we have done it,but ive never had any brake problems when i have done it,maybe not going fast enough,lol.

When I did it during sprint practice my breaks were cooked and starting to fade after 3 laps. Braking at 100m doesn't help either...

brake upgrades are always on the shopping list,was just checking out discs and prices not 5 minutes ago,will go on the bucket list,its getting farking long now.Will fix leaking power steering first and go from there.

is that back straight longer than the front straight?

My long happy laps vid, including random commentary by me. Contains quite a few F bombs...

loved the video, loved the commentary.. wondered if anyone else thought the same as me about the slow cars in the corners.. but then I thought that people were probably wondering why I was going so slow on the straights! I saw you pass me like I was standing still lol...

I had a minor freak out the first time the camera "crashed" lol.. what sort of camera were you using? gopro style or a dashcam?

is that back straight longer than the front straight?

Yep, plus the speeds are different.

Naturally these are sprint day speeds NOT happy laps speeds.

I normally enter the main straight at 100kmh and enter turn 1 at 140, the exit of turn 2/start of the back straight is also at 140-145kmh, the entry into turn 3 is about 80kmh and during a race you're breaking as late as possible. As you can see you have the potential to be going a lot faster at the end of the back straight than the front and the corner at the back is much tighter and slower.

loved the video, loved the commentary.. wondered if anyone else thought the same as me about the slow cars in the corners.. but then I thought that people were probably wondering why I was going so slow on the straights! I saw you pass me like I was standing still lol...

I had a minor freak out the first time the camera "crashed" lol.. what sort of camera were you using? gopro style or a dashcam?

Genuine GoPro with a 3rd party suction mount. Video was fairly crap quality because I dropped it down in post so it wasn't 7gb of uploading.