SAU Community

A Current Affair - Winding Clocks Back - Sports Auto Group

BigWillieStyles

Did anybody watch A Current Affair tonight. They did a segment all about winding back of kms with Sports Auto Group questioned over their cars.

My gripe with the story is that there was no attempt to ask the car seller (Sports Auto Group in this case) for an auction proof of purchase by the show's producers. Instead, they just assumed that the kms are being changed before the purchase in Japan. They even suggested that the car seller in Australia cant be held responsible - this is wrong and the seller would have been provided with the documentation on purchase.

The cars are purchased at auction by the car seller (on behalf of an agent) and then sold on to consumers in Australia. The kms are clearly shown on the auction purchase documents and should match the de-registration documents. It is clear that the car sellers in Australia are responsible for the changing of the odometers.

If the car doesn't have auction sheets and de-registration certificates, buyers should walk away.

What's your thoughts on the program? Positive or negative for importers?

William

Edited by BigWillieStyles

The problem is the story is only as good as the information provided.

Whilst they did try to get to the heart of the problem, they didn't necessarily convey the message correctly. I would have liked to see them name and shame some of the other dealers along Parra Rd, as well as speak to more competent industry importers - Iron chef etc.

But it's a start, and hopefully the dealers are now catching on to the fact that they can't hide anymore. That the Web has made everything transparent and social media can destroy a companies reputation in a matter of minutes.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, looks like I probably got stung by this lot.

2004 350GT, 62,852km on the clock. I've sent away for the odo check to see what it really is. The nav history I recently found when I got the nav DVD suggests that this car was used regularly on long commutes.

Date of sale was 06/01/2014, and according to this http://abr.business.gov.au/SearchByAbn.aspx?SearchText=20+167+038+002 DBN holdings took over Sports Auto group on 17/12/2013.

So according to what I just watched, I should be eligible for a refund under their new policy.

Assuming my ODO reading is way off that is. These tampered with ones all seem to be around the 50-60k mark.

And I agree with the comments, this was partially my f**kup. I should have had this checked before I got the car. But if they claim that they will offer compensation, I am going to hammer them for it.