SAU Community

Pressure Bleeding Brakes With Hydraulic Handbrake

Strick.

Gday guys,

Ive just completed the install of a hydraulic handbrake in my R32 GTST, with Z32 brakes.

The question is, whats the procedure of pressure bleeding the lines with a hydraulic handbrake in there?

The way i did it was as if it wasnt there, just bleed the rear brakes like normal without touching the handbrake.

So its not right, theres lack of pressure in there some where. When i pull the handbrake i can feel the brake pedal go down with my foot on it.

Do i need to open both rear brakes and pull the handbrake?

Anyone out there done it with a pressure bleeder rather than two people.

Thanks

So you have it inline with the standard brakes? Sounds like normal behaviour for an inline hydro to me.

The way to bleed it is as normal, start from the wheel furthest away from the brake master and then do the wheel next closest to it(RL, RR, FL, FR)

Yeah in line, thats the way i bleed it.

Doesnt seem right though, as the fluid should be all the way through the system there shouldnt be movement from another component when using the handbrake, surely!

I always use 2 people to bleed brakes, so can't comment on whether a pressure bleeder will work.

I used to bleed the handbrake separately, and it always worked for me. Others bleed the brake system as if the handbrake isn't there, and it seems to work for them.

Here's a process used by some rally guys. Never tried it myself, but it seems to be a good last resort for when nothing else works:

the method used is to put foot on pedal (pump it a couple of times to get a pedal if necessary), pull up on the handbrake and THEN open a rear bleed nipple. Once the handbrake is fully up, and the foot pedal is down, lock up the bleed nipple. At this point, pump the foot pedal to bring the handbrake back to the down position. Do Not force the handbrake down with your hand as there is a chance that air will enter via the seals in the handbrake master cylinder. Using this method on both the commodore rally cars at home works a treat. I have also had other cars come over with "spongy" handbrakes, used that method and "presto" firm pedal and handbrake

Fantastic, thanks mate.

I think ill drive it a bit (hard with a track car), see if that moves a few things around then give the brakes another bleed. Hopfully that will remove the last of the spongyness!

Cheers