SAU Community

98 Pump V E85 Pros And Cons For A Dd

Nismo 3.2ish

Every tune is different, and most tuners won't put the timing into an e85 tune, because the power is usually shooting up by that stage and they don't want to damage your engine. Why don't you speak to the guy doing the tune, as he would have a better idea of how hard he is willing to lean on it...

From my experience you are looking at around a 15-20% gain on ethanol, possibly more if the tuner is willing to lean on the timing. Doing so will cause exponentially high cylinder pressure, which can easily lift heads and crack blocks. If you want more power I would be simply leaning on the turbo harder before running more timing.

There is very little difference in response from my testing, but the midrange will certainly improve. All in all a great way of making extra power with more protection, by simply filling at a different pump, why wouldn't you run it...

Thanks Scotty

As I will probably hardly use the flex fuel set up I am putting on the car, but you never know. But in a few years my Son will.

I was just interested about E85. I understand it also runs cooler and blokes that use it seem to love all aspects, not just the extra power.

I think that's the point, there are so many good aspects to the fuel that most don't take into account. The 30% extra torque, the clean engine internals, clean exhaust and rear bar, plugs that never foul, less carcinogenic emissions causing lung conditions... Researching the fuel on here won't give you anything other than "more power is good" I would be google searching for other benefits, there are plenty.

Unfortunately that attitude is common from you NSW guys, which is why the rollout has stalled up there I think. They won't put more pumps in unless you use them, catch 22 I guess. I used to use a drum and pump at home, filling it with jerries. Where there's a will... :)

We have over 100 pumps down here now I believe, country servo's included. A lot aren't even listed on their websites.

I think that's the point, there are so many good aspects to the fuel that most don't take into account. The 30% extra torque, the clean engine internals, clean exhaust and rear bar, plugs that never foul, less carcinogenic emissions causing lung conditions... Researching the fuel on here won't give you anything other than "more power is good" I would be google searching for other benefits, there are plenty.

Thats a truck load of benefits and it looks like you have done better for me than a Google search,haha

I did a search on where to get the E85 but nothing seems to be in the Mid North Coast, I will keep looking. Seems only Caltex and United sell it??

Unfortunately that attitude is common from you NSW guys, which is why the rollout has stalled up there I think. They won't put more pumps in unless you use them, catch 22 I guess. I used to use a drum and pump at home, filling it with jerries. Where there's a will... :)

We have over 100 pumps down here now I believe, country servo's included. A lot aren't even listed on their websites.

Cannot imagine driving 600Klms to fill a drum :(

I have a good idea, all you blokes pack your bags and come over the border :)

Oh and after we have all the pumps we need we will deport you blokes back to Mexico :)

Same tuner nothing changed except putting e85 in it.

Full boost was still the same rpm.

I dint know what gear jez runs on his dyno. Don't really see it mattering.

Like I said. Mid range was where all the gains were made. I really couldn't care about peak power. As long as it makes good power through the power band

Pretty sure Newcastle has a couple of pumps, not sure if there are more country NSW pumps around atm. United has a great app for finding them, but a lot of the newer pumps aren't listed.

If you tune on United you should have no issues running Caltex eflex, even without the sensor...

RBN1 and I have almost identical set ups except he runs -9s and I run -7s.

Power is very similar except for midrange. I'm on E85 and the torque coming onto boost is a lot more noticeable than on 98.

We drove each others cars a couple of weeks ago and I think that has convinced him to convert to ethanol.

The change that is shown on your dyno sheet might not seem like much but the way the car drives is well worth the change.

• Like 1

Same tuner nothing changed except putting e85 in it.

Full boost was still the same rpm.

I dint know what gear jez runs on his dyno. Don't really see it mattering.

Like I said. Mid range was where all the gains were made. I really couldn't care about peak power. As long as it makes good power through the power band

totally agree :)

Pretty sure Newcastle has a couple of pumps, not sure if there are more country NSW pumps around atm. United has a great app for finding them, but a lot of the newer pumps aren't listed.

If you tune on United you should have no issues running Caltex eflex, even without the sensor...

Thanks, I will ask around about Newcastle, sort of hoping there may be someone in Port Macquarie, if I get a few options I will certainly have a better chance of using it.

Going to check out United, I am think I did a while back when I got interested in putting the flex fuel sensor in.

I will talk to the tuner and ask him to do the United tune :thumbsup:

RBN1 and I have almost identical set ups except he runs -9s and I run -7s.

Power is very similar except for midrange. I'm on E85 and the torque coming onto boost is a lot more noticeable than on 98.

We drove each others cars a couple of weeks ago and I think that has convinced him to convert to ethanol.

The change that is shown on your dyno sheet might not seem like much but the way the car drives is well worth the change.

A conversion :thumbsup:

As for the dyno , my car was 338awkw and made a few changes and it only went to 345awkw , 7 kw BUT a totally different car to drive, even the OS Quad clutch became easy in peak hour.

We are talking about 400awkw ish on the Dyno with the 3.2 stroker build.So I can only imagine the difference 55awkw will make with the added torque/response.

Add E85 and ?? Plus the added benefits that Scotty mentioned, sounds like a no brainer using E85 just for the cars sake. I think there is another conversion :wub:

• Like 1

That is about 6% , what gear? would be interesting if the psi was turned up a bit. Did you notice better low end response as well as mid range?

Kane are they different cams before the E85 graph? great result with the new cams :)

Wanted the comparison on the same motor same tuner if possible and would like to see what happens with lower and higher psi comparisons :)

nah this is after cams have been installed

hey dude just to give you an idea

you can see my setup in my signature but

317kw @ 20psi on 98

315kw @ 15psi on E85

388kw @ 20psi on E85

so you can see the difference. hope this helps OP

These figures here are after a full tune with cams. Same mods just a low boost and high boost on e85 and a high boost on 98

So there is your comparison

The benefit gain from E85 also depends on how knock limited your engine is, so if someone is very limited by knock then go to E85 they will gain more then someone that doesn't have any issues using 98 that just like the smell of E85 :D

The other thing I'm discovering ( from recent trackday where Amb was early 20s) with E85 is it doent like getting hot, where I never had any problems with 98, with E85 the engine will lean out and break down when the fuel gets hot and I m now looking into a fuel cooler

If you do really long drives and like to get up it or trackdays I would recommend a cooler if using E85

Be Interesting to see how effectivly the fuel cooler works Mick.. Where u going to put it?

I put I cooler in under the car once I realised the fuel was getting

Quite hot as the surge tank is in the boot with the pumps in the tank.

I didn't do a back to back but I might try get a infra red thermometer on either side of the cooler once it's up and running..

Obviously the car won't be moving so it will be hard to test unless I put a fan in front of it

I suppose a dyno will be an average way to test if the fuel is getting too hot by monitoring afrs