SAU Community

Prices??????????

well im sure this topic has arisen many times but i need to know wat you guys think!

it all started about 8 months ago im looking in the melbourne trading post and find R32 GTR $20,000. Shit i say to my self i go have a look and test drive sure enough i look in to getting the money and ring to see if car is still availabe couple of days later and SOLD. i kick myself for the next 7 months and 20 days untill, i find 2 more R32 GTR's for $20 to $25,000? what is going i know your probably saying thats just car depreciation but when does it stop. how will the final price be decided. there is no way in 5 years that a R32 GTR will be 5 grand and an r33 GTR $15 grand will there???

They cant be $5,000 because they are around $10k-$15k in japan!

most people sell there cars fast because of financial problems.. there is others selling there cars for 30K ( r32 ) and they get it but it takes them really long to get that sort of money.

in the end you get what you pay for.

well im sure this topic has arisen many times but i need to know wat you guys think!

it all started about 8 months ago im looking in the melbourne trading post and find R32 GTR $20,000. Shit i say to my self i go have a look and test drive sure enough i look in to getting the money and ring to see if car is still availabe couple of days later and SOLD.  i kick myself for the next 7 months and 20 days untill, i find 2 more R32 GTR's for $20 to $25,000? what is going i know your probably saying thats just car depreciation but when does it stop. how will the final price be decided. there is no way in 5 years that a R32 GTR will be 5 grand and an r33 GTR $15 grand will there???

it isn't cheap if you can't afford to fix it when it goes bang!

it isn't cheap if you can't afford to fix it when it goes bang!

That looks like a quote straight out of the latest HPI mag. An article about the value of 89 GTRs :cheers:

they probably stole in from here :cheers: bastards :)

R32 GTR in good condition will always be an awesome car to own.. the only people who are selling them for low 20's are very desperate for a sale - and possibly the car has problems that they can't afford to fix. Always be weary.

even a R32 GTS-t cant be worth $5,000 for one reason.

FOB alone is 100,000Y.

Car right now is worth 200,000Y - the average stock GTS-t in average condition.

so in total lets just say 300,000Y... even if we say 250,000Y it will cost around $6,000landed including $1,000 service fee.

so in the end you cant get a R32 GTS-t cheaper then $6,000 at the minimal unless your real lucky and pick one up for 50,000Y youd get it at $5500 including the $1,000 service fee.

id like to let all you people know who are thinking a GTS-t will cost $5,000 in 10 years time.. but it wont.

dont forget compliance+rego.

EDIT : i just bought a 1989 R32 GTS-t 5spd with catback exhaust for 7,000 with brand new respray!

Looking for the cheapest GTR you can find is asking for trouble. The price you pay will reflect the cars overall condition so if you are looking for an R32 for $20,000 you would want to have a fat wallet ready to deal with the numerous problems and issues you are likely to come across.

Looking for the cheapest GTR you can find is asking for trouble. The price you pay will reflect the cars overall condition so if you are looking for an R32 for $20,000 you would want to have a fat wallet ready to deal with the numerous problems and issues you are likely to come across.

Right on, but importing one for 20,000 ( 1989 ) is usually top dollar and in really good condition, but for the ones already in australia why bother selling them for $20,000 if they are 1992 and up ? must have problems.

if your looking for a 15year old car that is GOOD you can give me a PM anytime.

I wonder what this will do to prices ... :cheers:

Subject: ALERT - IMPORTATION OF VEHICLES 15 OR MORE YEARS OLD

Date:Fri, 02 Jul 2004 16:22:50 +0800

To:Lucien Wells

Please note that the following statement was recently added to the DOTARS website. Obviously changes to the 15 year rule are still under consideration, but it is just taking them a little time to work out how best to tackle it. When / what changes may occur are up to DOTARS, however we expect from their statement that they intend to make changes to at least prevent 1990 and newer models from being imported under this rule in the future. What this means of course is an announcement on a change to this rule sometime in the next 6 months. It also seems to indicate by default that 1989 models should be considered OK for the rest of this year.

If you want to have some impact on the process and to have a chance at maintaining the rule long enough to enjoy a large range of 1990+ models, you should make your views known to DOTARS and the relevant politicians now. With a solid response, this may be enough to postpone or moderate any intended changes. Guidance on how you can go about this can be found at the following link:

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.a...e=Industry+News

ALERT - IMPORTATION OF VEHICLES 15 OR MORE YEARS OLD

The Government is currently considering the responses to the discussion paper on the Importation of Vehicles 15 or More Years Old and the options outlined in the paper.

Prospective importers should be aware that there may be changes to the current regulations. You should not assume that vehicles manufactured in 1990 will be allowed to be imported should the regulations be changed.

LW.

I wonder what this will do to prices ... :cheers:

LW.

Thats a simple strategy used by DOTARS for one reason.

they where first saying the 15 year rule will stay, then 6 months later when a few thousand cars starting getting import approval's they said hang on lets stop this because its just screwing around with our cars. ( holdends.fords etc )

so now for me its fine if i cant import a 15 year old car in 2005 because ill have all the cars that i wanted that are 15 years old in 2004.

i think this is a good strategy for the 15 year old cars that are purchesed in 2004 because there value will increase by around 20% in my point of view.

just my 2c

speak to Craig from J-spec imports about the 15 year old rule.

Just edited this and added it :

Please note that the following statement was recently added to the DOTARS website. Obviously changes to the 15 year rule are still under consideration, but it is just taking them a little time to work out how best to tackle it. When / what changes may occur are up to DOTARS, however we expect from their statement that they intend to make changes to at least prevent 1990 and newer models from being imported under this rule in the future. What this means of course is an announcement on a change to this rule sometime in the next 6 months. It also seems to indicate by default that 1989 models should be considered OK for the rest of this year.

If you want to have some impact on the process and to have a chance at maintaining the rule long enough to enjoy a large range of 1990+ models, you should make your views known to DOTARS and the relevant politicians now. With a solid response, this may be enough to postpone or moderate any intended changes. Guidance on how you can go about this can be found at the following link:

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/?/au/...e=Industry+News

ALERT - IMPORTATION OF VEHICLES 15 OR MORE YEARS OLD

The Government is currently considering the responses to the discussion paper on the Importation of Vehicles 15 or More Years Old and the options outlined in the paper.

Prospective importers should be aware that there may be changes to the current regulations. You should not assume that vehicles manufactured in 1990 will be allowed to be imported should the regulations be changed.

thats from yesterdays information from prestige.

speak to Craig from J-spec imports about the 15 year old rule.

I have no reason too: I am quite happy with the way that Prestige is handling the import of my 1989 R32 GT-R :cheers:

My point was merely that I would anticipate two things if DOTARS does change the rules shortly: 1) auction prices on 1989 models will increase 2) R32 GT-R prices might see a rise in the longer term (because compliancing would attract another 4-odd thousand dollars under SEVS).

LW.

I have no reason too: I am quite happy with the way that Prestige is handling the import of my 1989 R32 GT-R :cheers:

My point was merely that I would anticipate two things if DOTARS does change the rules shortly: 1) auction prices on 1989 models will increase 2) R32 GT-R prices might see a rise in the longer term (because compliancing would attract another 4-odd thousand dollars under SEVS).

LW.

if you have a look at the auctions the 1990 model R32 GT-R's are on average 100,000Y less then the 1989 models.

i think all the people buying 15 year old cars are going to be really happy with the rule change next year and a rise of prices on all the skylines ( especailly r32)

Yes, I know 1990 models are (generally) cheaper.

My point is that now that DOTARS has made an official announcement regarding 1990 vehicles you would have to be thick to buy one, so I expect that demand for 1989 in the next little while -- a few weeks/months/however long until DOTARS finally makes a ruling -- will increase. Increased demand = increased prices at auction.

LW.