SAU Community

Gearbox Noise

longiie

Hi,

Hope someone can tell me the easy fix for this problem or solution.

My gearbox makes whiny scraping noises when I put the car into gear and get off the clutch.

Doesnt feel like anything is wrong but im not sure what damage it can cause on the inside.

Thanks for any replies.

u will have to give more info than that. Like if it is in all gears or just 1st. Does it increase or decrease with speed/revs.

Are you sure it isn't the diff of a wheel bearing etc etc?

maybe try to take a decent vid/ audio of it and also flesh out a few details like I said above.

They are 15-20 yr old cars now and they do make many noises...

Otherwise, one of my first recommendations to anyone purchasing a skyline is to go and dump the gearbox oil and put in some fresh high quality synthetic stuff. They are old cars and have probably gone a long time without an oil change in the gearbox or diff. Changing it will make the gearbox so much nicer and also fix many niggles in the synchros.

At the same time you can have a mechanic test drive it and give you a recommendation on what the noise my be and fixes.

Has the clutch been replaced/upgraded at any point?

It could be a lot of things, and yes maybe the release bearing.

I definitely advise diagnosing it correctly before committing to major work or you can rack up some serious unnecessary $ without fixing what needs to be fixed.