SAU Community

skyline mods help

loz

i got myself a skyline and await delivery of it from japan in 8-10weeks i am after some answers and suggestion for mods to put on my car.

are there power gains with the following

a power fc

adjustable cam gears or are they a redundant item just to look good..?

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

by the way it is a bnr32 gtr...

First and most significant mods should be a new exhaust then the power FC. You will find quite significant gains for "relatively" little expence. Make sure you get them done in that order otherwise the power FC will have to be retuned after the exhaust install.

First and most significant mods should be a new exhaust then the power FC. You will find quite significant gains for "relatively" little expence. Make sure you get them done in that order otherwise the power FC will have to be retuned after the exhaust install.

thanks i kinda jumped the gun there i will wait till i have it in my drive way and see what the mechanic says about the engine and what needs to be fixed and or replaced and how much i will be hit for re doing the trim on the seats and door trims. I go from there...will see what is left over from that and.....

Dont get new cam gears, they are mainly for looks. Get the Actual Cam.

Cam gears for looks? If they are under a dust cover (like they should be) no one is going to see them. Adjustment to camshaft timing with adjustable cam gears is very important when going to the finest detail of engine tune. Race engines do not have them on for looks.

A Cam gear will cost around $150 or so, only need one for the exhaust side. It's typical to see 10rwkw increase through the power band from retarding the exhaust cam timing 4 degrees. Fitting one is a 30min job and if you know the right SDU people or are handy with the spanner, it's free. The base ignition timing will need an adjustment and the AFR will benifit from a check also. Should be at worst a little time on the dyno for a tune ($100). All up $250 = 10rwkw.

Regarding the cam shaft change it will cost upwards of $600 a camshaft, It's $800 odd to fit and retune. The gains may be as much as 15-25rwkw on a fairly standard motor with the right sized camshafts. All up $1400+ = 15-25kw.

Depends on your budget. The cam gear is a bargain mod.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, im in the same boat as loz, except im ive got a r33 gtst on its way..

Need advice on power upgrades - major and minor including new turbo etc...

The car is STOCK :D

Also need advice on mod stages, what goes where in the timeline...im a newbie

If there is a link with the info on thats already been posted.. that would b great, and would save alot of time..

Thanks guys

Ok if ya goin to get an exhaust done spend the extra $$$ and get it from turbo back, ie ask for the dump and down pipes to be done..... please make sure you go to a reputable workshop to get that done... don't go to "She'll be right ABC mechanics" look at outr sponsors page perhaps, dump & down pipe gave me 20 rwhp increase.. off a single turbo if its a twin turbo well i'd say you may get a bit more of an increase! then yeah go the cam gear and power FC.

Both me and Rev210 placed our order together if memory serves me correct :-) we got the HKS cam gear both of us were happy with the $$$ to performance gain!

Go to the forced induction area or do a search on "mods" or sumfin similar....

Or drop Rev210 100's of PM's he loves that stuff! HAAHAH!!

lucky you get your line so soon, mine wont be here till mid oct!

anyways, first thing i do to any car i get is get it completly serviced, change everything that can be changed e.g all fluids, brake pads etc etc.

make sure she runs sweet, then start with some modding!!

can anyone reccomend a good service workshop?

steve

If money is an issue then definietly: Exhaust/air filter/re-mapped factory ecu (these are pretty good)/boost control (12-14psi). This is relatively inexpensive and will drive very nicely and capable of 12's. Only other consideration would be a heavy duty clutch.

Thanks guys for all the help.. put me on the straight and narrow hehe

umm Phatr32 give us a msg when u get your r32 skyline..

ill be saving till I can afford the mods and i was thinking maybe we might get discount if we go in and buy our mods together in a package? up 2 u though...

also depends wat u want obviously and where u want it from and who fits it...

If money is an issue then definietly: Exhaust/air filter/re-mapped factory ecu (these are pretty good)/boost control (12-14psi). This is relatively inexpensive and will drive very nicely and capable of 12's. Only other consideration would be a heavy duty clutch.

Re-mapping is quite a new thing here in WA for the r33 gtst... sr20's are quite common and Lumpy at hyperdrive does em....

Who remapps the r33 gtst ecu? wasn't there something with the EPROM on there? apparently it is very hard to do???? I haven't heard of many remapped gtst ECU's in perth.... i could be wrong but if anyone has had theres done leme know what it;s like and what gains.....

bunch of 32's have been repapped using the rom tuning technology speedworks have, the issue with r33's is they use a flash style memory which can be tuned via the console port, the japs have the bits to do it, but no one here has yet developped it..