SAU Community

Purchased a R32 GTS-t Yesterday - Now Some Questions

Hi All

I bought my first skyline yesterday (an R32 GTS-t) and i have a few questions (already :Oops: ) about things i've noticed...

Do these cars have a factory boost cut? I've noticed that if i get up it a bit in like 2nd or 3rd (or 4th on the highway), higher in the rev range (i.e. above around 4.5k rpm) and around 12psi (it has a catback exhaust, pod filter and BOV... can't see a boost controller in there anywhere... does the amount of boost sound right?), it feels like its hit a wall (i.e. a boost cut type thing) and seems to lose power, exhaust pops (like its running rich) etc... is this the factory boost cut? do they even have a factory boost cut? or is it something more sinister? :confused:

Also, i've noticed that my Hicas light comes on on the dash intermittently, but if i switch the car off and restart it, it goes away... the car does have an aftermarket steering wheel (which will be replaced with a stock one soon) so i'm hoping its just a case of the hicas sensors not being aligned properly..

Thanks for taking the time to read this, as i'm a :newbie:

Hi All

I bought my first skyline yesterday (an R32 GTS-t) and i have a few questions (already :Oops: ) about things i've noticed...

Do these cars have a factory boost cut? I've noticed that if i get up it a bit in like 2nd or 3rd (or 4th on the highway), higher in the rev range (i.e. above around 4.5k rpm) and around 12psi (it has a catback exhaust, pod filter and BOV... can't see a boost controller in there anywhere... does the amount of boost sound right?), it feels like its hit a wall (i.e. a boost cut type thing) and seems to lose power, exhaust pops (like its running rich) etc... is this the factory boost cut? do they even have a factory boost cut? or is it something more sinister? :confused:  

Also, i've noticed that my Hicas light comes on on the dash intermittently, but if i switch the car off and restart it, it goes away... the car does have an aftermarket steering wheel (which will be replaced with a stock one soon) so i'm hoping its just a case of the hicas sensors not being aligned properly..

Thanks for taking the time to read this, as i'm a :newbie:

No they dont have a boost cut, sounds like its either being fuel starved or a coil has packed up. They do tend to run 11 or 12 with cat back and intake, mine ran 11. 11 or 12 on standard turbo is no drama for the car.

Try testing the coils first, maybe get the injectors cleaned and change the fuel filter. As for the HICAS check the power steer fluid, it runs hydraulicly and if its low on fluid dosent function correctly.

IF you do a search youll find alot more info on these, you might find more R32 RB20DET info on www.skylinesdownunder.com check bothout.

that or ur doing 180 :cheers:

which u wouldnt be seeing as public roads are limited to 100 :D

you can get ur ECU retuned to get red of all the limiters etc....

as for hicas light: check your power steering fluid level, if its not low then its most probably your steering wheel that's turning on the light on the dash - either way i wouldnt worry too much about it

congrats on the new buy also!

Thanks for the replys so far, all...

I've checked the power steering fluid and it seems fine, so i guess it must just be the steering wheel (will check the codes for both ECU and HICAS on the weekend)

Will go and check my coils now and let you know how i go :D