SAU Community

Help Me Figure Out What I Need :)

Can't seem to find a definite answer

So atm I'm running a dead stock rb20. Good compression. Turbos worn and blows a little smoke has an aftermarket exhaust not the greatest but it will do for now

I currently have an

Op6 (not high flowed yet)

Splitfires

New coil pack harness (mines f**ked)

New 02 sensor

New ect

New z32 and tomei plug

All not installed yet would rather do it the day before tune

I'm yet to send the ecu for a nistune

Which will be done shortly

Will be getting a hdi front mount shortly

And a ebc to control boost levels.

The questions are

I want to run 18-20psi high and a low of around 12-14 daily. What size injectors would you say will do the job

I could get denso 550s or gtr injectors. Want a direct fit

Will I need need to get a bigger fuel pump and an adjustable reg? If so what items can I get that are direct swap no modification needed. (Still running in tank pump and stock rail)

What psi will the stock op6 actuator run on the rb20

A good tuner in Sydney who's easy to talk to and will tell you everything that's going on

And last but not least the cars running rich as shit but the plugs are white? Isn't this a lean indication?the car runs like a dog when it's hot. No power whatsoever so ideally I want to just get the engine mods done sooner rather then later

Am I wasting my time if I got the required stuff and run 12psi with the op6 now. And then retune on 18-20 when I can afford a high flow.

Or should I just wait that little bit longer get the high flow then go for the full tune and be done with it?

I assume a tuner wouldn't charge so much for a retune.

Also while I'm at it I was planning on running bcpr6es plugs like I always do at .8mm

But I was told that bcpr7es plugs at .75 mm is a better option with these sorts of mods

Thanks hope someone has the answers to my questions

20 psi on a bigger turbo on an RB20 can be up around 260 rwkW or so. Depends on quite a few niggly little factors. But you should expect at least 250rwkW.

Injectors are easy. Don't f**k about. Just buy some new 1000cc Bosch types from Scotty. Wiring patch connectors and adapters etc are all off the shelf easy to fit stuff. Much much much better injectors than your other mentioned options. 1000cc will not be too big - don't panic.

Yes you will need a fuel pump. At least a Bosch 040 or 044 or Walbro equivalent. No you will not need a regulator.

The stock OP6 actuator will run 5 psi on the RB20. That's what it's set for. You do not want to use that actuator. Using boost control to get a 5psi actuator up to over 14 psi is asking for trouble.

In fact. I would suggest that you DO NOT WANT TO USE AN OP6 highflow at all!!!!!!!! It will be a laggy nasty piece of shit. You should probably sell it to someone who desperately wants one and use a normal R33 turbo as the base for the highflow. You don't need the big exhaust housing for an RB20 and you will hate it.

If you fit the OP6 stock, you will be able to run it it 12 or maybe 14 psi and it will be quite good. Still a bit laggier than desirable for the power level you will achieve, but if it were me, I would certainly do that. You'll be able to get up over 200rwkW easily enough.

There is no value to be found in rebuilding a Hitachi turbo without highflowing it. You can't really rebuild a ball bearing centre anyway, so you can't really re-use the CHRA even with the idea of new bearings and wheels. Once you get to that point, you're all the way into a highflow effort.

Stock RB20 actuator will run to 10 psi or thereabouts. With a free-er exhaust housing and big exhaust it may well go up to about 12 or so on its own even without boost control, but you'd still want a boost controller so you can ramp it up onto boost as hard as possible, because believe me, RB20s really need to get the boost on as soon as possible!

Back onto the turbo side of things how much lag would I expect ?

I really can't be f**ked finding another turbo I was told to get this by quite a few people and they said the lag really wasn't that bad. But if I can get a few more answers awesome :)

As previously advised, contact Stao AKA Hypergear, he might have something he can swap you for, or at the very least be able to advise you on what the op6 will be like on a 20.

Edited by Missileman

Missile man I've already spoke to him and he didn't mention anything I could swap for

His words were very very laggy

But other people say it's not that bad....

I guess lags different for people

And yeah there's a couple I've skimmed thru but they don't really show when boost comes in just what they run to achieve that power

Missile man I've already spoke to him and he didn't mention anything I could swap for

His words were very very laggy

But other people say it's not that bad....

I guess lags different for people

And yeah there's a couple I've skimmed thru but they don't really show when boost comes in just what they run to achieve that power

Just searching for "RB20" on the first page of the HG thread shows up at least the following links. The first one in the list is not the first one on the page, but I think you should look for posts by CEF33Y on that page. There is a variety of result/discussion of RB20 options on the other links.

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/261613-hypergear-hiflow-service-continued/page-489

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/261613-hypergear-hiflow-service-continued/page-35

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/261613-hypergear-hiflow-service-continued/page-42

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/261613-hypergear-hiflow-service-continued/page-72

Ok if Hypergear doesn't want your turbo, swap it with someone with an R33 who does want it.

Just because you have bought something is not a good reason to fit it. People can get used to Lag but its still boring as to drive on the street

Wow I didn't even know you could search single threads that's awesome

I always do a general search of the whole forum

Probably why I never get results lol

And kiwi

Aren't the r33 turbos similar in size? Or is the rear housing smaller

Remember I will be high flowing whatever I get. (Unless it's already capable of 20 psi

Wow I didn't even know you could search single threads that's awesome

I always do a general search of the whole forum

Probably why I never get results lol

1st point. If you want to search ANY forum ANYWHERE, ALWAYS assume that the inbuilt search function is a piece of shit, and use Google to do the search. On a Google search all you have to do is put in the same search terms you would have used on the site search, but also add "site:sau.com.au" at the end (without the quotes of course, not that they probably matter).

2nd point. The search I did, which produced those links, was achieved by pressing Ctrl-F which brings up the browser's own page search. I typed in RB20 and just clicked through the various findings of RB20 in Stao's thread index, opening the ones that looked promising in new tabs as I went.

OK fair enough, my hiflow rb20 turbo is just tolerable in my auto R32, 1 bar by 4200rpm, have not had it on a dyno yet so no idea of power.

sorry that post was incorrect, I get 1 bar at 3700-3800 rpm

makes positive manifold pressure by 2500