SAU Community

R33 Cluster/speedo Problem.

Ogun Dullak

Hi guys, I recently bought a Skyline R33 S1.. One problem with it is that the speedometer doesn't work, all the other gauges like the Revs counter, petrol etc work except for the actual speedometer. The previous owner has told me that when the speedometer was working, it read DOUBLE the speed he was doing, so when he was travelling at 40km/h, the speedo will be at 80km/h. Anyways, he also gave me a Jaycar speedo corrector kit which i believe when he tried wiring it up, accidentally did something to make the speedo stop working. Anyways, I've been quoted $380 from a speedo 'expert' in Maryong. Anyone have any ideas on what I should do or how to fix the problem because I simply don't think it should be costing that much for what seems like a simple fix..?

Pull it out and have a look what he has done. You may need to remove the speedo corrector, see if it works then. You may find he fried something inside when he wired up the speedo corrector.

May have had the wrong speedo sensor in the box?

Probably f**ked the board and it needs replacing, lol. Pull out cluster and see what you can do to fix it yourself but if something is gone on the PCB behind the speedometer then you'll need a new board and they aren't cheap.

Easier to buy a new cluster if that is the case.

Just had the same problem with my speedo !

Its a problem with the circuit board.

As my speedo is very rare ( Veilside 360km/h ) it was worth repairing.

Took it to a place in Revesby, Advanced Automotive Instrument Company, to get repaired and it cost me $187 to fix.

With a stock one might be best just to buy another.

• 3 months later...

Advanced is the right place to go. The magnet on my odometer was cracked, so it only counted Km intermittently. He fixed it up for $180 and now everything in the cluster is perfect. Highly recommend this shop!