SAU Community

External Wastegate Boost Control Setup

Can anyone tell me from the following photo, if one setup is better then the other and why?

I currently have a 3 port wastegate setup the same as top pic, after some research I see a lot of people connecting it up like pic 2, which is better ? Will one hold the gate shut longer then the other ? Bring on boost sooner ?

post-24984-0-89757900-1437218179_thumb.jpg

I was always under the impression the top way was better. Mine is setup like this and works fine, especially seen as my external gate is small. Builds and holds boost fine

Top is better for the reasons on the pics. Method 2 gives a wider range of boost and is therefore less subtle. Method 1 gives more precise control over a smaller range which is why you try to set up the springs to get fairly close to what you want and use the solenoid and ecu to make fine adjustments. And why its better to go for just one boost level. If you want less boost just don't put your foot down so hard.

Thanks for the replys guys

I have it connected as shown in diagram 1, my GFB ex50 wastegate has a 13psi spring, I'm thinking of adding a 7psi spring, seeing as I never use it on low boost (20psi) always stays on high (24-25psi)

Thanks for the replys guys

I have it connected as shown in diagram 1, my GFB ex50 wastegate has a 13psi spring, I'm thinking of adding a 7psi spring, seeing as I never use it on low boost (20psi) always stays on high (24-25psi)

Yep that's the way to go although you may have to readjust your solenoid to retain the same boost levels. If you have access to your ecu you can do this yourself and once done the tune will be unaffected.