SAU Community

R32 Gtr Hicas Issue

GoneGoose

If you were to replace it which would be the correct one?

Probably any pump that will fit on an RB. Just need to get the pulley changed.

I did look into this a long time ago, but did not bother remembering what the right choice was, because I cheated with an engine swap. But the good news is that if you google, you will find.

Define issues? Do you mean just the physical problems of getting it out while the engine is in the bay? I wouldn't expect there to be. The solenoid can be removed with the engine in. The hydraulic lines to the pump and reservoir run under the engine and it is nice to be able to access everything more easily when the engine is out, but I'm sure that needn't be a problem if you're just removing the lines that run to the rear from the solenoid.

Mental note for anyone removing everything.....the R32 pump is a 2 stage (or more to the point a 2 circuit pump) with the rear circuit running the HICAS gear and the front running the PS. If you get rid of all the HICAS plumbing it is a prime opportunity to do something about getting rid of the 20+ year old PS pump in favour of a newer single stage pump. I did this by doing a Neo transplant, but that's cheating. I'm just pointing out that you can't just block off the HICAS lines as the pump is still pumping!

Pardon my ignorance but if it is a 2 rotor pump cant you just pull the vanes out of the rear rotor and job done?

• 1 month later...

OP: Like you, I have a 1990 R32 GTR here in the US (Oregon). As part of my suspension refresh I have completely removed the Hicas system, including the rear components, the hardlines, and the front solenoids. It is pretty easy work, removes quite a bit of weight, and does reduce some of the odd handling caused by Hicas.

If you ever decide to do a suspension rebuilt, drop me a note.. I can give you all of the details on where to get the replacement parts here in the US.

Jeff

OP: Like you, I have a 1990 R32 GTR here in the US (Oregon). As part of my suspension refresh I have completely removed the Hicas system, including the rear components, the hardlines, and the front solenoids. It is pretty easy work, removes quite a bit of weight, and does reduce some of the odd handling caused by Hicas.

If you ever decide to do a suspension rebuilt, drop me a note.. I can give you all of the details on where to get the replacement parts here in the US.

Jeff

Jeff, I appreciate the offer. If I ever decide to rebuild the suspension I will let you know so you can help me track down parts (beyond just throwing on coilovers, which is my next purchase). I am starting to think my HICAS issue is just the steering wheel position sensor, in which case I might just fix it rather than remove it. At least for now. One of these days I should probably get around to doing that.

On an unrelated note, I am also in Portland, OR. I haven't seen any other R32 GTRs on the road, but I had heard there were at least a couple around.

Edited by GoneGoose