SAU Community

Power Fc Knock Sensor

muzziak

So my knock sensor was going crazy the past week or two, hitting values as high as 140-150 but sometimes staying low, never anything really consistent. I took it back to the tuner and on the way the AC pump started to make heaaappss of noise. We bumped down the timing a bit to reduce knock, but the tuner was saying the AC pump being on its way could also contribute to the large knock. Any validity with this statement ?

Thanks

Yup. It's not the "Power FC knock sensor"....it's the OEM knock sensor, and they are famously able to pick up other engine noise. Anything that involves bits of metal hitting other bits of metal can end up sounding like pinging to the knock sensor. The OEM ECU does a better job of filtering the audio from the knock sensor. The Power FC software is a bit more shit.

I would to see if the knock stays the same etc.

While turning it on and off should elimiate the major rotating parts, it may have a faulty clutch or noisey bearing etc. I would pull the belt off just to see

A/C belt only drives the A/C so will cause no harm at all.

The fan belt drives the altenator as well as the water pump so it shouldnt really be removed for testing as you will have no water flow through the engine

Power steering and A/C Belts only drive the one thing so can be removed for testing

I didn't know, that's why I was asking Ben. We didn't put it on the dyno, just plugged the laptop in. He said it was down a bit, not enough to feel any difference though so I imagine a few kW ? Awesome, I'll take off the belt then and drive like that on the track day