SAU Community

To Bleed Or Not To Bleed?

Dan93

Hi guys just a quick question as I've done a search.
Do I need to bleed the front passenger side brake?
This was my first time having a go at changing the rotors and pads and I undid the bolts that held the caliper in place (starting from bottom to top). I realised that when I undid the last top one slightly some fluid came out so I redid it. Now I'm wondering do I need to bleed just that side? Thanks, I'm new to brakes so be gentle.

There shouldn't be any fluid coming out when you're removing caliper bolts. You had best show us a photo of what you mean.....because if you were splitting the caliper accidentally, you might be in some trouble.

And here's a pro tip. ALWAYS bleed brakes. Every opportunity.

• Like 1

Yes the caliper split slightly, but I still had the top one done up. It was only till I loosened it slightly that fluid came out. It's all together and well, I just need to know if I need to bleed that brake specifically.
I will bleed them all when I get the chance, but would I be able to drive it as it sits now?

Off the record, your not supposed to split the calipers, the bolts are torque to yield items and should be replaced, as should the oring that seals the 2 halves.

Having said that, i know heaps of people who have split them and reused the old bolts.....but with a new oring.

Yep, you have to bleed now, no ifs or buts about it.....dont even think about driving it, you don't know how much air got in.

I know I wasn't supposed to split it, but I didn't know those bolts held the caliper together.
So now I've got to get the caliper pulled apart to replace the o ring?
OK bleeding it isn't such a problem now considering I don't know the problems I have made, by slightly loosening the caliper.

Edit: I'd also like to add that it is not leaking at all since I did up those bolts.

Edited by Dan93

Edit: I'd also like to add that it is not leaking at all since I did up those bolts.

So you tested it while hot under full pressure braking with the master full of vacuum while the caliper flexes under high speed load?

You 100% sure it wont leak? :)

Hence why the oring should always be replaced......