SAU Community

Standalone Management

Guest Nismo_Freak

Guest Nismo_Freak

Does the standalone management system replace the whole ECU? If so ... which is the best system to use and how much do they cost?

Best standalone would be a Apexi PowerFC. Over here, we can also get a Microtech ECU that plugs straight in to the wiring loom, but I'd probably still take the PowerFC though. Check Nengun for prices.

Have you looked at the Greddy E-Manage?

Guest Nismo_Freak

Well I shopped around and found out a few things. I would like to utilize a MAP sensor unit which the Motec, Autronic, and Microtech seem to offer. I also noticed on another forum that someone was upgrading their Microtech system to the Autronic SMCII System which seems to be a fairly good system. I couldnt really get any info on the Wolf 3D systems because their website no workie. However I havent really made a true decision yet... it would be nice to get some responses from people that actually utilize the systems or at least provide reasons to choose this system over another.

Thanks to those that replied so far :burnout:

That... and I wanted to use that smiley :cool:

Motec and Autronic are top end ecu's and real expensive that are probably not required unless you want mega hp, eg 600hp.

Microtec, Wolf are cheaper options, however I am looking at getting a Haltech fitted, these are a little more expensive than the other two but have a few more features and will tune a little better. It really depends on who tunes the system as to how good you car runs and there are so many different ecu's avaliable which everyone recommends something different.

Guest Nismo_Freak

I forgot to include Haltech... those are good ECUs... a few guys in town run them on their FDs. How much is the Haltech system?

yes,a haltech has a turbo timer function,but you'll have to wire it in with relays...

it also has a boost controler but you'll have to buy a haltech boost valve ~$120

you will also NEED a map sensor as it doesnt come with it in the kit ~$200 for a 3bar

and if doing a complete loom,you might want the plugs ~$80-100 unless you wanna chop and solder to the original ones.

Did someone mention the E6K???

The pic attached is the one we installed in a mates GT4. Took the good part of a full weekend (we had no idea!!! :D ), but it all worked fine.

Boost controller works sweet right upto 19psi. 3 bar map is a must (1 bar vacume, 2 bar boost). And he sorted out the ilde adjustment so it's automatic now.

Oh, and the aux rev limiter is great to use as launch control :) :)

It was tuned by Mat the HitMan in Sydney - he did an amazing job.

J

I'd go the Microtec LT12,

It Features

*loom adapter to plug straight into the std Skyline loom

*built in map sensor (Bye Bye AFM)

*Easly adapted for electrinic boost control using the std boost solinoid via a Knob

*Pre programed with std map

*closed loop

*one could fit themselves and drive the car to the dyno shop.

*Laptop programable

*opt hand controller (you wouldnt need this anyway)

*$1350 approx

*Aussie made (parts easy comeby and can be serviced/repaired here.

unless your going for a car thats not driveable on the street this would have to be the best for street use. (and one of the cheapest) BUT it for a manual only. check High Pearformance Imports mag issue no 24 on page 53 for the write up.

Guest Nismo_Freak

Microtech seems nice but there isnt a dealer in the local area that I know of. Haltech however does have a few dealers in the Texas region. Honestly the $800(US) bucks to buy one isnt bad at all, keep in mind the US $ is stronger than the Aussie $ at the moment. Anyways ... so will the Haltech be a very good system to have?

Originally posted by Nismo_Freak

Microtech seems nice but there isnt a dealer in the local area that I know of. Haltech however does have a few dealers in the Texas region. Honestly the $800(US) bucks to buy one isnt bad at all, keep in mind the US $ is stronger than the Aussie $ at the moment. Anyways ... so will the Haltech be a very good system to have?

In High Octane 3 they used the top of range Haltech on their r32 gts4 drag car, but it looked a ball breaker to install it, new sensors and sh*it loads of wirning to do!

Guest MFX_R33

The Haltech is a very good computer, form people I know who have used them. I have an EMS which is very good, including closed loop, boost control, launch control, hand controller, etc.

Jeff.