SAU Community

R32 Gtr Power Steering Solenoid

Hopefuly someone can help me out here

When I have reds on my power steering rack solenoid is buzzing away, I disconnect the plug it goes away,

I have checked the voltage at the plug and it reads around 5v. Which according to my research is normal for when the car is stationary

It never did this before and only started doing it now, car is getting started on the weekend since we mods went on

Any way of testing if the solenoid is stuffed?

Could it be making this noise until the system is bled ? (had to remove power steering tank so I lost a lot of oil)

I gave it a temporary 12v power feed and that stopped it buzzing

Any help would be great, I don't want to have steering issues :/

• 4 weeks later...

It's not hard to pull off the solenoid. There are 3 Allen head bolts and a flared line coming in from the top. There are 3 o-rings sealing connections from the solenoid to the rack. You can take it down and check it off the car.

I supplied 9V to mine (it didn't seem to care of polarity) and it blocks flow through 2 of the holes (they are drilled at an angle). Blow through them and make sure they are flowing freely when not energized and also sealed totally when energized.

The hicas computer sends a pulsed voltage to this solenoid.

Maybe just air? Did you put the correct fluid back in?

I am going to use the haltech to control mine as I have removed most all of hicas.

Could be capacitors going bad in the hicas ecu