SAU Community

Boost And Possible Pump Problems. Questions

Hello

I will buy a new pump soon because the one I have is old and I believe on its ways out.

The weekend, I went out and pushed my car to the limit like I have never done before.

I ran with a tuned GTR and some other cars.

I have been pushing my car within safe limits to learn how to drive the power I how and use it with tune and things I have.

The weekend I pushed it!

Did pretty well with keeping up with the gtr( he didn't floor it lol) and the other cars. But I was pushing my car to the limit.

Afterwards when doing normal driving, my car would hesitate and I lost power(not electrical power) when changing from 2nd to 3rd gear and than drive normally again. I couldn't go past 3000 rpm in any gear.

My friend adjusted the cas and the car drove better but I still have problems sometimes in 3rd and 4th gear. Sometimes it hesitates and loses power(not electrical) as I am approaching 3000 rpm and than it will be fine.

Last night as I was sitting in the car with the car idling, it cut off. I was able to restart without any problems.

Today as I was driving in 3rd gear it started to hesitate again and wanted to cut off. I pulled to the side of the road and the engine started revving as if I hit the gas. The car cut off. I started the car again and as I was pulling off it cut off again. I was going up a hill.

I started the car again and gave it some gas, the car drove fine and the engine sounds fine.

The car at traffic lights idles fine.

Yesterday I cleaned the spark plugs, it had some carbon build up along the top of the plugs.

Didn't have a chance to clean the maf because the auto stores didn't really have maf cleaner.

It seems the hesitation happens if I drive sporty. If I baby the car, it doesn't give me the problems as much.

I researched about possible causes and the number cause I found is that it can be the fuel pump. Next was the maf, coil packs, igniter, injectors.

Yesterday when checking the car, I didn't see any fuel leaks or smell gas. The car starts and idles fine.

Could it be the fuel pump? I know its old and it was starting to make weird noises sometimes before this.

You would not have done any damage to the fuel pump by caning the car. Simply would not have. So if it has died or is dying then that is purely coincidence. It is 5 minutes to test it. Just have to load the engine up with a fuel pressure gauge connected.

You ARE likely to have cooked the coil packs if you were caning the engine, because it all would have gotten hot. Same with the igniter module. The CAS and the AFM could also have suffered from heat. You need to do the standard diagnostics on all those things if you hope to discover what it is.

You would not have done any damage to the fuel pump by caning the car. Simply would not have. So if it has died or is dying then that is purely coincidence. It is 5 minutes to test it. Just have to load the engine up with a fuel pressure gauge connected.

You ARE likely to have cooked the coil packs if you were caning the engine, because it all would have gotten hot. Same with the igniter module. The CAS and the AFM could also have suffered from heat. You need to do the standard diagnostics on all those things if you hope to discover what it is.

So caning means pushing the car?

I was about to get new coil packs soon any way, spit fires. I have an extra set of stock igniters, afm have an extra but its old, and the cas, well don't have any extra.

Stupid question, how would I do the standard diagnostics on cas and igniter? Igniter, I thought either it works or it doesn't. Coil pack I thought it works or it doesn't. Can always check the voltage on each coil.

My friend who tunes cars adjusted the cas the first time after I experienced the first problem. It helped the car drive more smooth.

Yes, caning means driving it hard. As in "hitting it with a cane", a la corporal punishment from my school days.

Coils and ignition module are usually diagnosed via swaptronics with known good components, although you can also have a look at running coils in the dark to look for obvious spark leakage.

CAS is obviously diagnosed using swaptronics unless you have an oscilloscope that you can use on the dyno to watch the signals from it.

All this has been covered a bajillion times before, on this and every other forum.

Yes, caning means driving it hard. As in "hitting it with a cane", a la corporal punishment from my school days.

Coils and ignition module are usually diagnosed via swaptronics with known good components, although you can also have a look at running coils in the dark to look for obvious spark leakage.

CAS is obviously diagnosed using swaptronics unless you have an oscilloscope that you can use on the dyno to watch the signals from it.

All this has been covered a bajillion times before, on this and every other forum.

Didn't know about diagnosing a cas, never heard of one going bad. Don't have any extra to swap to check.

Took off the coil packs yesterday when I cleaned the spark plugs, they are working fine. Can always double check with a voltmeter.

I will check if I can find a used cas.

So pump is pretty much going out, but the cas might be bad.

Will check

How do you know they are working fine? You can only really test them under load.

all of my cylinders are firing. Ive already encountered what its like when a coil pack is dead. Car sounded like a Subaru as the joke around the shop went.

No access to a dyno at this time.