SAU Community

Unregistered Vehicle Permits Question...

no you can't do it. It's only for rego purposes.

You can get a day permit for race events though.

The rally events which I have been to have had multiple unregistered cars on uvp's

• Like 1

Got more info trex? Didn't think it was possible.

https://www.accesscanberra.act.gov.au/app/answers/detail/a_id/1820/~/unregistered-vehicle-permits-(uvp)

I havent looked into it much as i dont have an unregistered race car that's driven to and from events.

Nearly all the cars at the last rally i was at were on UVPs, this ranged from caged cars to standard excels. These were people who lived in the ACT and the race was in NSW. So it is possible Drew.

The race UVP would be considered under the 'unreasonable and unpractical to have full rego'

In nsw your car has to be roadworthy dpending if it needs blue or pink slip and you get a conditional permit.. no more than 21 days

in the act you don't need any inspections after your initial first inspection and a car can be unregistered for upto 12 months before you pay for rego online.

in the act you don't need any inspections after your initial first inspection and a car can be unregistered for upto 12 months before you pay for rego online.

Same as nsw.. your safty checks last a year but unregistered permits you still need a safty check before they issue a permit..

They are pretty strict about it aswell here in nsw.. i sold a new caravan to s couple from townsvile on there way to WA and they only issued a 4 day permit as they said thats plenty enough tie to head to the boarder register the ban and keep traveling back down south lol

Edited by donburtron

Same as nsw.. your safty checks last a year but unregistered permits you still need a safty check before they issue a permit..

They are pretty strict about it aswell here in nsw.. i sold a new caravan to s couple from townsvile on there way to WA and they only issued a 4 day permit as they said thats plenty enough tie to head to the boarder register the ban and keep traveling back down south lol

I should have worded it better. The act don't need annual inspections. It's just the one when you first register your car in your name in the act. Every year after that you pay online and it's done. No more inspections.

Yeah I have heard of people having troubles in nsw. Back in the day we used to just type out something that said that we are driving X car from point A to point B on Y date. Worked fine when pulled over :)

Yes. Your not supposed to though, its supposed to be only for getting the car inspected. Also because there arent any tracks in canberra you would also need another permit in nsw. Its easier to borrow a car trailer, and about the same price. Also you can still get defected on a permit

Incorrect.

UVP in NSW now is fill in your own form to claim it's "worthy" give them a reason for needing it, and they'll provide you with one for up to 28 days.

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/apply-unregistered-vehicle-permit

You fill in both of these forms yourself, all that you need to be declared "safe" by the form is:

Lights/Indicators

Wheels and Tyres (Road suitable)

Windscreens and windows intact/legal

Suitable seats/seatbelts

Working Brakes

Working Steering

Working Horn.

Odd that you don't need an engine... Maybe flinstones style is allowed with a UVP. Ha ha!

Point number two on those saying you need an ACT and a NSW one to drive from ACT to NSW, you do NOT. NSW accepts ALL other states, and NSW ones are accepted in ALL states except WA.

It's all noted here: http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/unregistered.html

Incorrect.

UVP in NSW now is fill in your own form to claim it's "worthy" give them a reason for needing it, and they'll provide you with one for up to 28 days.

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/apply-unregistered-vehicle-permit

You fill in both of these forms yourself, all that you need to be declared "safe" by the form is:

Lights/Indicators

Wheels and Tyres (Road suitable)

Windscreens and windows intact/legal

Suitable seats/seatbelts

Working Brakes

Working Steering

Working Horn.

Odd that you don't need an engine... Maybe flinstones style is allowed with a UVP. Ha ha!

Point number two on those saying you need an ACT and a NSW one to drive from ACT to NSW, you do NOT. NSW accepts ALL other states, and NSW ones are accepted in ALL states except WA.

It's all noted here: http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/unregistered.html

All of what you said is correct however when you send your documents in or hand them into the rms they limit you for time.

I know this since im a salesman for a dealership and we sell holden, mitsubishi, mahindra, golfcarts, regal roadstar regent bailey avan compass and sunland caravans, camper trailers, kara kar horse floats hyosung and can am quads savage boats and suzuki marine engines.

18 months ago the UVP we could just do in house and put 28 days on it but now they are strict snd the RMS has the final say.

If you say your driving 600klm to brisbane they will give you a 48 hour permit just like the one we got issued on thursday for a customer who bought a new caravan off us.

You also have to provide a blue or pink ticket to prove your car is in working order as you stated above

Edited by donburtron

Hmmmmmmmm interesting and handy to know.

Last time (a few years ago) i had an act permit it said "within act only" or something like that. Makes it easier now if they have changed it!!!!

• Like 1

I am friends with someone fairly senior working out at Dickson motor registry dealing directly with this. Short answer is you will not be granted an UVP for a track car to drive it to/from a circuit. If it's a rally car participating in an event that involves public road you can get an UVP.

The differentiation is that rally's are sanctioned events with approval to operate on public roads (or road related areas) and circuits are not. If you need to get your car to the track, buy a car trailer.

I've had many arguments with him over a few beers on this subject.