SAU Community

R34 N/a+t Problem & Need A Recommendation For Tuner In Melbourne

Unfortunately you can't do that, I have been in this exact situation in the past.

The GTT Ecu will not run the GT gearbox unless you do some wiring. It's not actually that hard (think 20 wires that run from the separate gearbox controller need to be wired into the GTT ECU) but finding someone that will know this and do this took me literal years.

The piggyback in this situation is the 'best' idea but in ALL SERIOUSNESS I would be doing EITHER:

a) Aftermarket ECU for the Engine AND aftermarket ECU for the gearbox - no. Just... no. (this is what I did, the auto NA box is just shit..

b) GTT Engine, Manual Gearbox

c) GTT Engine, TURBO Auto Gearbox (and wiring!)

c) Un-turbo the current car and sell stock and buy b).

It may not seem like any of these options are fun.

They aren't.

But they are going to be the least-painful options available.

If it were me, I would be absolutely un-turboing the car and starting again.

But you are about to run headlong into a massive

Unfortunately you can't do that, I have been in this exact situation in the past.

The GTT Ecu will not run the GT gearbox unless you do some wiring. It's not actually that hard (think 20 wires that run from the separate gearbox controller need to be wired into the GTT ECU) but finding someone that will know this and do this took me literal years.

The piggyback in this situation is the 'best' idea but in ALL SERIOUSNESS I would be doing EITHER:

a) Aftermarket ECU for the Engine AND aftermarket ECU for the gearbox - no. Just... no. (this is what I did, the auto NA box is just shit..

b) GTT Engine, Manual Gearbox

c) GTT Engine, TURBO Auto Gearbox (and wiring!)

c) Un-turbo the current car and sell stock and buy b).

It may not seem like any of these options are fun.

They aren't.

But they are going to be the least-painful options available.

If it were me, I would be absolutely un-turboing the car and starting again.

But you are about to run headlong into a massive

Hey Greg, thanks heaps for your response.

As for now, i am thinking to do the following steps

1. un-turbo the car first, which shouldnt be much of a fuss other than buying the n/a manifold and make a dump pipe if needed, since i really dont wanna get a VASS and pass the emission test for the new rego or if i do get caught in the future.

2. Bring the turbo to a tuner under the current emanage ecu set ups and see how i can go from there, or do u suggest i really need to get a new ECU for the gearbox too?

3. As for GTT Engine and manual gearbox,maybe i will be doing a manual conversion in the future as for now i can only drive an auto.

This is the most "effcient way" to solve my problem from my perspective at the moment.

Feel free to throw me any advices. Cheers.

Hey Greg, thanks heaps for your response.

As for now, i am thinking to do the following steps

1. un-turbo the car first, which shouldnt be much of a fuss other than buying the n/a manifold and make a dump pipe if needed, since i really dont wanna get a VASS and pass the emission test for the new rego or if i do get caught in the future.

2. Bring the turbo to a tuner under the current emanage ecu set ups and see how i can go from there, or do u suggest i really need to get a new ECU for the gearbox too?

3. As for GTT Engine and manual gearbox,maybe i will be doing a manual conversion in the future as for now i can only drive an auto.

This is the most "effcient way" to solve my problem from my perspective at the moment.

Feel free to throw me any advices. Cheers.

Seems half my post got cut off or I forgot to finish it, lol.

My piggyback (an emanage blue) did weird shit on the dyno and decided it wanted to advance timing 50 degrees after about 6000RPM. Why? Noone ever knew, but it ended up destructing an engine, after putting a GTT engine in. Sadness.

The haltech PS2000 did work as a piggyback, however, the NA box did not live very long even though it was built up from MV autos, it got absolutely melted behind something like 250? kw at the time. You may not want massive power but most people do eventually want at least 250 and the autobox, even built, will create sadness if it is still the one from the NA, in my experience.

Your options really are:

a) Find a tuner that will tune it and maybe it won't randomly explode or do weird shit. Even then, you will be getting only comparable performance to a stock GTT turbo, I'd wager. Depends a bit on whats actually installed etc. Maybe more, maybe less.

b) Get it back to stock as much as you can and buy the car you were after. Can sell bits. If turbo is good, well, hang onto it and keep it for GTT land.

c) Strongly suggest buy Manual GTT over the auto one. If you can't drive manual, learn, it's a lot of fun and not nearly as hard as you'd think and you'll be really happy you did, guaranteed.

(or you can just buy my car with 10 years of headaches solved now :P)

Seems half my post got cut off or I forgot to finish it, lol.

My piggyback (an emanage blue) did weird shit on the dyno and decided it wanted to advance timing 50 degrees after about 6000RPM. Why? Noone ever knew, but it ended up destructing an engine, after putting a GTT engine in. Sadness.

The haltech PS2000 did work as a piggyback, however, the NA box did not live very long even though it was built up from MV autos, it got absolutely melted behind something like 250? kw at the time. You may not want massive power but most people do eventually want at least 250 and the autobox, even built, will create sadness if it is still the one from the NA, in my experience.

Your options really are:

a) Find a tuner that will tune it and maybe it won't randomly explode or do weird shit. Even then, you will be getting only comparable performance to a stock GTT turbo, I'd wager. Depends a bit on whats actually installed etc. Maybe more, maybe less.

b) Get it back to stock as much as you can and buy the car you were after. Can sell bits. If turbo is good, well, hang onto it and keep it for GTT land.

c) Strongly suggest buy Manual GTT over the auto one. If you can't drive manual, learn, it's a lot of fun and not nearly as hard as you'd think and you'll be really happy you did, guaranteed.

(or you can just buy my car with 10 years of headaches solved now :P)

hey man, I'll un-turbo it first and then decide whether to sell or if I can find a decent tuner to help

me get to 200rwkw for now which i think should be fine for the engine and gearbox.

from ur experience, what other things I'll need apart from a n/a manifold and dump pipe, possibly a stock injector? would the forge piston screw up the compression ratio and make the car not drivable or something? and would I need to go to an exhaust shop to make the dump pipe and manifold connect to my catback as the catback is aftermarket custom made. Cheers

It really depends on what is actually in the car.

Are the injectors REALLY upgraded? If so, the stock NA Ecu will not run them. If they're really upgraded, well, then the e-manage has already had to have been tuned in some form to run with them.

Has the engine really been built and forged? It seems very unlikely that someone would build and forge a NA engine and then put a turbo on that without a decent ECU or system to run it. Like super pants-on-head dumb. You'd just put a turbo engine in.

If you're taking it back to stock, I'd be replacing as much as you can with actual stock bits. A stock NA exhaust would cost very little, as would a stock NA manifold. I'd be doing that as opposed to going to a fabricator shop to fab up a solution.

If the exhaust is decent, dump is decent, turbo is decent then it may take some sleuthing to find out where it all went wrong or what limitation got hit. You may find that the guy put a forged turbo engine in but couldn't figure out the wiring to run the auto. Stranger things have happened.