SAU Community

Problems with R32 GTSt - please help

Ok something's up with my 'Line....

Sunday night driving home from work i gave the car a workout in 1st gear. Upon hitting near full boost, the car made a horrible banging (backfiring sort of sound) and to the best of my memory seemed as if it was hitting fuel cut. This was at only about 5000rpm (if that). I thought id put the exhaust wheel out through the pipes.. However the turbo still spools up as it ever did. Accerleration seems to be unchanged.

Tonight i drove the car out of the carpark and gave it a bit of curry (still cautious of the prob from the other night). Again it made that backfiring type of banging/clunking sound as it was approaching full boost. I tried it again a few mins later and it did the same thing again. Scary sound. In 4th gear under full acceleration it did it as badly as when in 1st gear.

Now the last time i tried it in 4th i managed to see the boost gauge bouncing on and off 15psi. I have a dual stage boost controller (bleed valve) which is set at 12psi (low - which i drive on) and 14psi (high).... As i understand it, seeing 15psi would mean the boost is spiking due to manual b/c having poor wastegate control?

What could the problem be? Why would it be spiking now, when in 12mths of having the b/c fitted ive only seen it spike by 1psi when on high-setting?

Could there be a more serious problem?

when you changed your boost controller did you change ALL hoses? coz mine did the same thing once with a cracked hose on the underside, so i only found it once half the motor was on the drive way. solved my problem. post again with results and anything else you know of so we can all help.

No, i didnt replace anything extra at all.....

I havent had any other dramas and like i say ive had it installed for a year no probs...

im getting a service thursday anyway so ill get my mechanic to check it out - but sometimes it's better to hear from people who may have experienced the same things....

like i say it seems as though my fuel cut is intervening for some reason, possibly due to it spiking.... but why would it spike?

• 2 weeks later...
No, i didnt replace anything extra at all.....

I havent had any other dramas and like i say ive had it installed for a year no probs...

im getting a service thursday anyway so ill get my mechanic to check it out - but sometimes it's better to hear from people who may have experienced the same things....

like i say it seems as though my fuel cut is intervening for some reason, possibly due to it spiking.... but why would it spike?

i had a simliar prob a few weeks ago as soon as i hit boost the car bakfired and a huge black smoke came out the zorst i thought i had dont a motor anyway i looked under the bonnet and and found that the crank angle wire wasnt plugged in properly due to me unplugging it the nite b4 while at the movies ....pushed it in no probs since so try that see how u go

Check the fuel pump is fine as I noticed when mine was running lean it appeard to make a little more boost.

Another thing to check is the coils and or spark plugs.

If its not that then swap over your AFM.