SAU Community

Stock Airbox and 250rwkw???

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the title reads, how do u reckon u would go getting 250rwkw with the stock airbox??

Does anyone have any before and after dyno results??experiences??thoughts??

Best I have seen was 225 rwkw with a Pipercross panel filter in the standard airbox on an R34 GTT. Even that required changing the pipework from the AFM to the turbo as it kept getting sucked closed, that was with the standard air filter though. :)

I'm not sure how different the GTR's airbox is compared to the GTT's amd others... but I chose to remove the HKS Pods, and re-fit the Factory GTR airbox with a KN Filter.. We still got around the 310-320kw @rear wheels, and to add to that we are still using the factory dump pipes off the turbo and stock GTR cat??

I'd be interested on what you think SK about that, coz I know you think otherwise.

:)

Easy. :) IMO one thing I think people tend to forget when looking at the standard components of the later model Skylines is they have been building a similar design for how long now? You can imagine how much R&D has gone into the RB26 and RB25 over the years. Look at cars like the Mines GTR with it's standard air box. That car is one mean machine!

I'm not sure how different the GTR's airbox is compared to the GTT's amd others... but I chose to remove the HKS Pods, and re-fit the Factory GTR airbox with a KN Filter.. We still got around the 310-320kw @rear wheels, and to add to that we are still using the factory dump pipes off the turbo and stock GTR cat??

I'd be interested on what you think SK about that, coz I know you think otherwise.

:D

I don't know what you mean mesh :angel:, the standard GTR cat is good thing, much better than a GTST or compliance cat. I have 2 cars using the stock airbox but with Pipercross panel filters. :) I could argue with you about why the Pipercross filters are better than the K&N, if you need a :fight!:

So that just leaves dumps, as you know I prefer split dumps, but not the HKS shorty style, I prefer mine with longer separation. Not because they give more max power, but because I get better average power out of them. But that's just my opinion. :)

I could argue with you about why the Pipercross filters are better than the K&N

Hi Sk, I like the K&N product. Whats with these Pipercross Filters that gets you so warm inside? :confused: Do you think that the oil used on the k&n filter stuffs the afm? I'm interested to know if you've seen any back to back comparisons with a lightly oiled k&n vs paper element with respect to the amount of air they can flow?

Hi Sk, I like the K&N product. Whats with these Pipercross Filters that gets you so warm inside? :confused: Do you think that the oil used on the k&n filter stuffs the afm? I'm interested to know if you've seen any back to back comparisons with a lightly oiled k&n vs paper element with respect to the amount of air they can flow?

Hi Ben, the advantage the Pipercross design has is the multiple density and thus the vastly greater amount of surface area to hold particles (dust, dirt, grit etc). The differing densities enable the filter to hold different size particles in the most appicable density foam and still let the air flow around them. The single density filters suffer from blockage very quikly in comparison, one big dirt particle completely blocks off that spot on the filter.

Single density means that all particles (regardless of their size) must be trapped on the surface of the filter. The Pipercros design allows the larger particles to be trapped in the least dense foam, the next sized particles in the lessor dense and the very fine in the highest density.

I have heard all the counter arguements, stuff like the convoluted design means that there is more surface area. But I have examined enough panel filters to know that the troughs do all the work, and the rest of the convolutes block each other from the airflow. Next time you pull out your K&N have a look where all the dirt is.

The Pipercross filter oil has flame retardent in its composition, something that others could learn from.

As for back to back tests, I have done a few. When the filters are all brand new they flow pretty much the same, but after a few thousand k's the Pirercross design shits on them all, it looses nothing.

So that's why I prefer them :)

Thanks SK - as always a thorough explanation. So the pipercross is foam, using similar principals to the two stage foam filters used on trailbikes etc Looks like i'll be recharging the K&N quite frequently then - if its starts to disintergrate i've always got that 1,000,000 km warranty! lol. - Do you think that the BelRay oil as used in trailbikes would do the trick when i recharge or stick with the K&N Oil? I have a large bottle of the BelRay on the shelf.

Belray, shoot that's a name I haven't heard for a long time. Being basically lazy, I prefer the spray on flame retardent oil. I have never used Belray filter oil so I can't really comment.