SAU Community

R33 Gtst rear end knock

admS15

• 1 month later...

So, getting back to this. A couple of days after i thought i solved my problems, the noise came back worse than ever.

I continued searching to no avail. A mechanical diff and drive shafts came up for sale cheap, i thought it was a good opportunity to upgrade and rule out the diff and shafts. Purchased and fitted, noise remained. Fuark, oh well at least ive now got a proper diff and better ratio for track duties (4.36).

I went as far as getting someone to drive the car while i was in the back and in the boot, all i got out of that was that it was below the floor and from rear right. Fed up with it all, i kept driving with the noise driving me nuts for a month or two.

Eventually, I decided the best course of action was to buy some chassis ears. I bought some ebay specials for $70. Best money ive ever spent (almost).

The noise was found to be coming from the forward rear right subframe bush. The chassis ear kit has 6 alligator clamps with mics in them i placed them at different locations on the rear right, 4 bushes, lower ball joint and tail shaft centre bearing. The offending bush was on the first channel i listened to. I couldn't believe it, was that simple to pin point using this cheap tool. On the other channels i couldn't hear knocking but could hear the normal sounds of bearings spinning, exhaust hum and even the brake pads brushing the rotors.

Now that i knew where the noise was coming from, i quickly jacked the car up, unbolted the bolts holding that bush and bracket up, 1 of the bolts holding the bracket didn't seem overly tight, from the bottom, the bush appeared to still be in 1 piece. I simply rotated the lock collars a little bit and refitted and torqued everything up.

Went for a drive and whoalla, no more stupid knocking noise. I wish i bought this tool at the beginning, would of saved around 10 hours of stuffing about and getting nowhere.

Here's a pic of the ebay spec chassis ears. They look uncannily similar to the sidchrome ones i was going to buy which are significantly dearer.

• Like 1

Stupid forum media disabled crap. Here's the pic of the chassis ears.

IMG20180306185456.thumb.jpg.d82c4c8346155a73a3629225f538c570.jpg

Thanks to these, the problem is now solved and im going to put these to use to figure out where a suspension noise is coming from in our Stagea and the mrs Focus which started making a weird suspension squeak last week.

39 minutes ago, hardsteppa said:

Those things look siiick. Do you have a link to the seller's ad pls? Ones i found on ebay were 300ish plus.

Yeah this is the link

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Auto-Car-Electronic-Stethoscope-Kit-Mechanic-Noise-Detection-Diagnosis-Tool/232374307192?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

They work good, there is a little bit of static heard when you turn it on but nothing that stops you from hearing what you need. When the car is running, you don't even notice the static.

I also came across these, this is cheap as compared to other sellers of the same thing, looks pretty similar quality to be honest, headphone cord looks a bit better, the rest looks the same. The kincrome and sp tools version look exactly the same other than colours, they even have the same part numbers.

https://goodqualityproducts.com.au/product/sidchrome-car-engine-noise-detection-diagnos-electronic-stethoscope-

if i was a mechanic and would get lots of use out of them, i would have gone for these wireless ones https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wireless-ChassisEAR/222300065562?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649 but with the limited use i need them for, the cheap ebay spec is perfect and adequate enough.

Found the issue in less than 2 minutes and took around 10 minutes to set up including jacking the car up and running the cables through the drivers window. I ended up just using compact ear phones to hear so i wouldn't look weird while driving around the back streets near home.

kit/

• Like 1