SAU Community

R33 gtst s2 morimoto projector retrofit

Ty1

Tools required:

Heat gun/big oven, grinder, drill and a basic tool set.

Time: half a day if you really take your time

I believe there is already a diy on how to remove the headlights from the car so please refer to that.

This retrofit was achieved by using the morimoto mini 7.0 h1 bi-xenon kit which i purchased off ebay for $180 inc shipping from the u.s. There is also a diy for r32 headlights but i can confirm this kit works on r33 s2 headlights. The kit literally comes with everything required to install the projectors, including new sealant to go around the headlight lenses. This tutorial is assuming you have already installed aftermarket hid ballasts and bulbs, which is the easy part anyway [emoji5]. Not sure if the r33 s1 headlights can still retain the factory reflector housing but not much modifying was required for the s2. Firstly you want to remove the headlights and remove each metal retaining clip around each headlight and then put them in an oven for about 5-10 minutes to soften the sealant and then carefully pry the lenses off bit by bit. in my case i had to use a heat gun as my oven was too small[emoji54] now you want to remove the factory bulb holder on the back of the headlight which is held in by 2 little screws. You wont be reusing this part as the kit is supplied with a new one. To remove the reflector housing i found that by loosening the horizontal and vertical headlight adjustments on the back, it was much easier to just pop it off the ball joint as seen in the pictures. Just be careful not to lose the adjustment nuts as you will be reusing them. now see the raised plastic bits on the back of the reflector housing? You want to grind these off and have the surface as flat as possible so the tightening nut has enough room to get a secure hold on the back of the projector. Before putting the projector in, you want to screw the projector housing on with the supplied screws. I opted for the mini gattling shroud and couldnt be happier with it! In order for the back of the projector to go through the hole in the back of the reflector housing, you will need to slightly enlarge this hole with either a dremel or a drill bit but be careful to not crack or chip the housing as its only fiberglass. Now to pop the projector in the reflector housing while making sure its mounted the right way and also remembering to put the adjustment nuts back in. There is an 'up' marking on the projector so you cant really stuff this up. Also,refer to the instructions that came with the kit as you dont want to redo this later. I also used the supplied rubber washer when tightening the nut. You want to make sure the nut is really secured with a shifter as the last thing you want is for the projector to come loose and have to reopen the headlight to tighten it up again. With this kit there is also an option to wire it up so the projector stays on when the highbeams are switched on. I skipped this part as its not necessary and didnt really appeal to me. A hole would most likely have to be drilled in the reflector housing to run the supplied wiring harness out the back of the headlight. Once the projector is in, you want to run a length of the supplied rubber sealant around the entire headlight and try to push it in the groove as much as possible. I removed as much of the old sealant as i could but you dont have to worry about removing every last bit. Ive washed my car several times and driven in the rain with no leaks what so ever. Now with your heatgun you want to heat up this sealant and press the lense back in with as little mess as possible. Dont worry if some sealant presses out as it can be cut off with a knife once its hardened and made to look like a factory finish. I went around the lense a few times with the heat gun and put each retaining clip back on, working from the center out. Once its all back together you will definitely need to find a flat surface with a concrete wall or garage door and park roughly 6-7 metres from the wall to readjust the headlights. Proper instructions/methods can be found on google for this step. Now to enjoy having much better visibility at night [emoji5][emoji5]20180324_144804.jpg20180323_132430.jpg20180324_145506.jpg20180324_145453.jpg20180324_145533.jpg20180324_150542.jpg20180324_151806.jpg20180324_152735.jpg20180324_153649.jpg

• Like 4