SAU Community

Vacuum / boost leak issues

So I know this has probably been discussed endless amount of times but.... 

I really need some ideas! 

S1 R33 - stock except for a China turbo and fmic.

I got the car with the issue so I have never seen it run right.  

Idles like it swallowed a bird. Drives fine but then hits 15psi and cuts out / fuel cut. I have no idea why it’s boosting so high. It’s got a boost t but it’s wound all the way down.  I even bypassed it and went for a drive and it still did the same thing.   

So the list of things we have checked: 

afm, tps, fpr, wastegate, fmic and piping, all the hoses (there were a few cracks and they have been fixed now) spark plugs replaced (gapped to 0.7mm). 

There was a mother can blocking the bov, took it out and it barely idled at all,  blocked it again by putting the can back in and it idled better?  

It doesn’t sound like it’s blowing spark out. It makes a loud sad cat sound (epic boost leak noise) then cuts out completely.   Blows heaps of black smoke under load.    

Next, I was thinking maybe the turbo is screwed? 

ANY ideas of what to check would be greatly appreciated 

What makes you think you can turn the boost on an unknown wastegate actuator down below 15 psi?

And of course a stock ECU will then boost cut.  Will be as rich as f**k until it does so, especially if it has a blown intake manifold gasket or other boost leak to explain the noise.  All the answers are in your post.

• Like 1

Buying a car with a problem that you don't know how to fix is a silly move     

Not sure how you figure a screwed turbo would mean uncontrolled boost

This isn't going to  be fixed via the internet.

8 minutes ago, thebe said:

A simple boost leak test is a cheap and easy place to start. You can easily test yourself If you have a compressor.

Has the car actually been tuned for the new turbo?

We do have a compressor :).   How can we test it?   

I highly doubt it has. Would this cause it to cut out though? And rough idle?  

Get the inner tire from a bicycle with a correct vent and fit it to the beginning of your intercooler piping. I used inner The inner tire from a big fat mountain bike and used a normal hose clamp to secure it. Then use the compressor you fill the piping with air and you'll hear If/where it leaks. Im sure you can find diy pics If you google.

5 minutes ago, thebe said:

Get the inner tire from a bicycle with a correct vent and fit it to the beginning of your intercooler piping. I used inner The inner tire from a big fat mountain bike and used a normal hose clamp to secure it. Then use the compressor you fill the piping with air and you'll hear If/where it leaks. Im sure you can find diy pics If you google.

Thanks so much.  Will definitely try this on the weekend 

• Like 1