SAU Community

piping install for 600X300X76 cooler

wados

Bangah is that a stock reinforcement bar that has been cut? What front bar have u got?

Yep thats a stock. it has been choppped :D

looks like they have to chop it in order for gtr copy front bar to go on. Looks like the gtr copy was a dodgy copy...... doesnt fit exactly.

word or warning....... eventhough i have lined the cooler dead centre in the picture, after i place the font bar on. Looks like the cooler was 1cm too far to the left. So it looks like its not centred ;(

so i took it all off, wasted a day and checked again. oh well i will have to live with it..........

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep thats a stock. it has been choppped :)

looks like they have to chop it in order for gtr copy front bar to go on. Looks like the gtr copy was a dodgy copy...... doesnt fit exactly.

word or warning....... eventhough i have lined the cooler dead centre in the picture, after i place the font bar on. Looks like the cooler was 1cm too far to the left. So it looks like its not centred ;(

so i took it  all off, wasted a day and checked again. oh well i will have to live with it..........

if the cooler didnt fit dead centre than for future reference, i think making a dummy fit before fitting the pipes is called for. ie mount cooler and than front bar to get exact position the cooler sits at.

Nice job.

If I go into an exhaust shop and ask for the following:

· 2 to 3 foot of straight pipe

· 2 45 degree bends

· 2 90 degree bends

· 1 180 degree bend

How will they know how long to make each bend?

Excuse my ignorance but you cna have a 90 deg. angle that is 10cm and also 30cm.

how could u really paint the inside of the mild steel pipes so that rust won't set in?

i just used a spay can and spayed the inside of the pipe at an angle. i fiured that its better to have some paint then no paint.

plus most of the bends are short and can get a good coat on it, its just the straight pipe that may be a little thin, but i went though a two whole can.

Nice job.

If I go into an exhaust shop and ask for the following:

· 2 to 3 foot of straight pipe

· 2 45 degree bends

· 2 90 degree bends

· 1 180 degree bend

How will they know how long to make each bend?

Excuse my ignorance but you cna have a 90 deg. angle that is 10cm and also 30cm.

Im not sure if you can have a 90 degree bend with 10 cm on one side and 30 on the other. You probably could if you ask them, cause they probably bend their own pipes.

the pipes they gave me, had about 6 inches on either end.

I had a look at my front bar today any intercooler that is front mounted looks like i'll have to cut my front bar a little.....suppose it won't really be a problem because the intercooler will cover it.

Did you have to cut your front bar at all?

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.perfectrun.com.au/performance%2...ercoolerkit.htm

I costed it, it's about $1250 that's including postage.

It's a brand new GReddy Intercooler kit

I was looking at getting the 3rd RB20DET Kit thye have?

Anyone ever used them?

Heard of them?

Is it a good price for genuine parts?

Apart from buying a hybrid fmic and getting some pipes made then bolting it up is there going to be a better price?

• 2 weeks later...

hey lazy,

Nice install pal :P

I also have a R33, although i noticed that you didnt use all the bends that Wadso did.

Looks like you just used a:

-1x180

-2x45's

-1x90's

is this right cause i like your install it looks very tidy :D

also how much did you cut off the original black cooler piping?

Thanks for your help bud

God bless,

Nate

bangahh - im about to attempt this install soon as well on my 33. Ive had opinions that it would lag quite considerable so could you give your impressions on this as it seems that the cooler has been on your car for quite a while. Also as bless_you have mentioned, does the 33 only require 1x180, 2x45 and 1x90 bends. btw i got quoted $170 for the piping - in stainless steel, from the materials wados stated. is this a resonable price.

I paid 110 for mild steel, plus $30 in paint. sooo yes in my books it is.

I havnt notice lag, just a slight bit of lag, but once the power kicks in, its more than worth it. people who go down this path will more then likely turn their car into something mildly modified.

im after a computer next.

just a tip, try and cut the u bend to be as close as posible. when i feel bored or when i get another front bar, i'll probably chop about 3 inches on either side.

if you see lzy pic and my pic, mine could use some more trimming.

believe it or not the silicon hoses and t- bolt clamps cost more than the piping.

bangahh - you mentioned that those who use choose to install there coolers in this fashion will only work there cars mildly, can you elaborate on this as i quite dont understand what you are saying or am i completely off track here.

Another thing, should i fit the cooler on the car and then take it to the workshop for them to do the piping which would gurantee that the piping would fit as there is not mention of how much piping is need for each bend required.

Sorry - my assuption of Mildly worked would be parts you put onto your car before you need to start spending big money. ie front mount in general and not installed this way.

my upgrade path.

pod - exhuast - cooler - boost - cpu. I aiming at 220kw at wheels with stock turbo.

Theres really no point if your going to mount the cooler and take it to the shop for piping. You should let the shop do it if you dont feel confident about it and can get it done for a cheap price.

The DIY is about saving money by doing it yourself. If you dont want make your own piping then the other option i would have done was get the kit with all the piping and installed it myself.

• 2 weeks later...