SAU Community

The feel of shifting when cold and warm temp

reyy

Hi everyone! Merry Xmas,

Just wanting to get some understanding before I decide in the near future what i would like to do to my transmission to help keep it going healthy. The vehicle is a 98 R34 25GTT NEO and stock even box.

So the general consensus that i've noticed is during cold starts first to second below 3k RPM can feel like its crunching, not severe but noticeable that i've start to double clutching, yes on upshifting not down, its allowed smoother change with no bad crunch or feel. Once the vehicle has warmed up and assuming gearbox oil as well, shifting at that low RPM from first to second is heaps better but barely noticeable. Similar but consistently have fourth to fifth changing gears greater than roughly 3.5k RPM it does crunch and definitely feels like its your first time shifting and crunch the gears type of crunch.

Now i've been going good with it so far and slowly not sure to decide on a rebuild or buy a new box, no decisions has been made im looking for power and that can be another story.

Cheers

18 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

learn to drive the thing sympathetically.

Yeah, that is what i've decided to do it keeps it going nicely then, but you could say the synchros are giving way?

19 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

When was the oil and clutch fluid last changed?

actually wouldn't know it could definitely be on the next thing to do.

Edited by reyy