SAU Community

R32 rb20det blow by question

Just picked up a r32 for an arm and a leg with a 20det.  Checking off the list of issues with it (hacked up wiring, oil leaks, etc).  

One 'possible problem  I've noticed is slight smoke or vapour exiting out of the breather filter on its oil catch can.  Not an expert on blow by so I wanted to get some more advice around what could be causing it.  The engines been rebuild by a shop ablut 10000 kms ago and I've done a compression test which didn't turn up any abnormal results (between 130-140 across all cylinders).  The catch can itself doesn't have any oil in it either.  Only seems to be when the engines warmed up, haven't had the chance to take it for a decent drive yet cause of the hacked wiring and a funny idle.  

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Tiverton said:

(between 130-140 across all cylinders)

2 hours ago, Tiverton said:

been rebuild by a shop ablut 10000 kms ago

These are not consistent statements, assuming that the comp tester is working correctly. There is no reason why a well built, not worn out RB20 shouldn't return >150 psi and really it should be >160.

Something is f**ked. Whether it was rebuilt by someone who just didn't give a shit about piston/bore clearances, roundness, rings gaps, etc, or never bedded in properly, the comp tester is telling you lies, etc.

18 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Something is f**ked. Whether it was rebuilt by someone who just didn't give a shit about piston/bore clearances, roundness, rings gaps, etc, or never bedded in properly, the comp tester is telling you lies, etc.

This is what I was wondering.  The compression tester was good, we did another car after and got an accurate reading.  The engine was also built by a pretty reputable shop but I know that doesn't always mean it's good or going to work.  Is there anything I can do to prevent it from getting worse? 

I'd probably do that decent drive first....then do another comp test.  If it was used as a short drive commuter by the PO then the motor could be 'gummed' up with valve seats and rings suffering.  A long drive with some heat and revs  then a comp test will tell you more.  Maybe also try one of the 'clean while driving' type concoctions?  can't hurt.