SAU Community

M35 TransGo kit installed - Something's f**ky

Akshunhiro

Hey all, need some insight please on what I may have done wrong on my install

Finally got around to installing my shift-kit on the weekend and it was pretty straight forward

I kept everything organised, followed the instructions to the letter and kept an eye on the ball bearing and filter placement

Found another DIY from the G35 forums which recommended flipping the valve body over to keep the upper half separate with (in my case) 5 balls and springs since all the work is done on the lower (also double-checked the holes to be drilled out)

Put everything back together and took it for a drive but noticed it wanted to keep bucking down to 1st when in 2nd at medium throttle

Figured there may have still been air in the lines so slowly went through all the gears in manual mode and did a few light pulls in D

Everything seemed okay so I drove it home but noticed when it got hot it kept either trying to select a lower gear and bumping back up (when in D) and I now get an even worse jolt in 2nd where it seems to not be able to make up it's mind whether to drop back to 1st or stay in 2nd resulting in a really aggressive jerk

I've focussed on the fluid level to rule that out as it may have been overfilled after the install

It's all okay now but I still have the issue with it bucking in 2nd

I have no problems with pulling it all apart again but not sure what to look for

I also noticed a weird issue where the P will disappear from the dash when putting it in park sometimes which I've never seen before but going into reverse and park again seems to rectify that

Anyone come across this by chance? The gearbox was working fine before the install (I wasn't fitting the kit to try rectify an unrelated issue, just needed a fluid change)

Get your transmission tuned to suit

Transmissions are like engines, when you mess with them they may/will require a tune to run problem

Disclaimer: I'm new to playing with transmissions and the transmission I have is a 4l60e

I get my transmission tuned at Craigs Automatics whenever I change power or gearing

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 3:51 PM, Akshunhiro said:

Hey all, need some insight please on what I may have done wrong on my install

Finally got around to installing my shift-kit on the weekend and it was pretty straight forward

I kept everything organised, followed the instructions to the letter and kept an eye on the ball bearing and filter placement

Found another DIY from the G35 forums which recommended flipping the valve body over to keep the upper half separate with (in my case) 5 balls and springs since all the work is done on the lower (also double-checked the holes to be drilled out)

Put everything back together and took it for a drive but noticed it wanted to keep bucking down to 1st when in 2nd at medium throttle

Figured there may have still been air in the lines so slowly went through all the gears in manual mode and did a few light pulls in D

Everything seemed okay so I drove it home but noticed when it got hot it kept either trying to select a lower gear and bumping back up (when in D) and I now get an even worse jolt in 2nd where it seems to not be able to make up it's mind whether to drop back to 1st or stay in 2nd resulting in a really aggressive jerk

I've focussed on the fluid level to rule that out as it may have been overfilled after the install

It's all okay now but I still have the issue with it bucking in 2nd

I have no problems with pulling it all apart again but not sure what to look for

I also noticed a weird issue where the P will disappear from the dash when putting it in park sometimes which I've never seen before but going into reverse and park again seems to rectify that

Anyone come across this by chance? The gearbox was working fine before the install (I wasn't fitting the kit to try rectify an unrelated issue, just needed a fluid change)

The 2nd gear jerkiness, is a standard for the shiftkit for a lot of people. It can be quite clunky. 

The transmission is 'adaptive' and it will take a while to drive and for it to 'relearn'. Sadly when you clear the ecu etc it doesnt actually clear the tcm. I am unsure of anythign besides consult being able to clear the parameters also. 

As for the rest of your sumptoms are you having any other issues? Only time ive had the dash dissapear is when my IPDM got wet, that also made the gearbox run  full line pressure constantly. 

On 2/21/2022 at 2:21 PM, m35stagea said:

The transmission is 'adaptive' and it will take a while to drive and for it to 'relearn'.

Thanks. Things have improved but there is some odd shifting behaviour once it gets hot. I've ordered a trans cooler for it.

Manual mode seems a lot better.

The P symbol dropping out seems to have disappeared too.