SAU Community

Turbo water feed/ drain

harambe34

That shows that the water inlet pipe, 15192P, is on the outboard side of the turbo. The connection on the inboard side of the turbo is thus the outlet, and it very clearly runs forward, towards the plumbing around the front of the engine/water pump.

I must say that I am not speaking as an authority here, because I've never paid attention to what actually runs where, but it was always my impression that the water for the inlet does not come out of the side of the block. The oil certainly does. But I always thought the water for the turbo came from the little clusterf**k of pipes under the back end of the inlet manifold.

5 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

That shows that the water inlet pipe, 15192P, is on the outboard side of the turbo. The connection on the inboard side of the turbo is thus the outlet, and it very clearly runs forward, towards the plumbing around the front of the engine/water pump.

I must say that I am not speaking as an authority here, because I've never paid attention to what actually runs where, but it was always my impression that the water for the inlet does not come out of the side of the block. The oil certainly does. But I always thought the water for the turbo came from the little clusterf**k of pipes under the back end of the inlet manifold.

Apparently the coolant feed really does come from the block? At least if this photo is anything to go by: image.thumb.png.a4c10fbf59315c1960ace459bb4a3649.png

The EPC says it comes from section 110 which is the engine block. And the return seemingly goes around the back of the head to the hose barb at the back of the intake manifold which is not something I was expecting.

If I was anywhere near my car I'd go have a look.

Anyway, that photo does align with the shape of the inlet pipe on the EPC data drawing, so I concur, it does come from the block. All good.

And now that I am forced to squint down to 20/20 vision, I see that the outlet pipe is actually possible (and correct) to interpret as running backwards away from the turbo, and around the back to the point on the back of the inlet manifold plumbing that I originally posited as the source for the supply. So those two brackets on that pipe would be on the back of the head or thereabouts.

• 1 month later...
On 17/04/2023 at 6:06 PM, GTSBoy said:

If I was anywhere near my car I'd go have a look.

Anyway, that photo does align with the shape of the inlet pipe on the EPC data drawing, so I concur, it does come from the block. All good.

And now that I am forced to squint down to 20/20 vision, I see that the outlet pipe is actually possible (and correct) to interpret as running backwards away from the turbo, and around the back to the point on the back of the inlet manifold plumbing that I originally posited as the source for the supply. So those two brackets on that pipe would be on the back of the head or thereabouts.

Thanks mate, I ended up sorting it out.