SAU Community

VIC rego Q

A31_Cefiro

Can you guys give me a brief outline on how rego works in Vic and the costs?

I'm looking at relocating from Sydney to Melbourne and want to get idea....

On a sideline can you guys recommend a good suburb close to the city but easily accessible to Blackburn that would be good to rent in. That is a low theft area :)

Thanks!

sounds good we will have to catch up and you can take me for a run in your cefiro .

as for good suburbs I live on the other side of town so I cant help.

to get a car registered you need a cetificate of roadworthyness and your old nsw registration.

cheers

meggala

i think im near blackburn... i have no idea when it comes to areas... even if i live in em! lol

i think blackburn is like a 20min drive from my area here in dingley... str8 down the western extension near burwood... burwood isnt a bad place to live... my mate lives there and its easy to get from the city to there

inark, get a street directory - Dingley is almost the other side of the world :D

You want suburbs like Burwood, Box Hill, Blackburn, Nunawading, Mitcham. Maybe Mt Waverley and Glen Waverley. They're all going to be similar rentals, I think. Not sure on theft risks though (is there such a suburb as a 'low theft risk'?)

I just got the renewal papers for my R30 - $478 if I recall :eek:, well its more than last year, and I think its all in TAC fee (no such thing as NCB there).

pfffffffffft otherside of the world... dingley is the place to be... its probably one of the best places ive lived in so far in australia... altho it spooks me out a little how theres nothing but middle class white folk when accross the rd (basically) is noble park, springvale :D i think its cause no one other that white ppl want to live in a "village" lol

takes me 20mins to get to the city and 35 in peak hour traffic when im getting to work...

Thanks for the tips guys.

One last Q on the rego. What does the $478 consist of? In NSW we have to get a pink slip (it's like a road worthy check), green slip (compulsory injury insurance type of thingy) and then rego itself.

Costs are like $25 for the pink slip, $250 - $300 for the green slip (my age anyway...) and then about $200 for the actual rego.

Thanks!

ok,

vic rego can be from 400-480 depending on where you live. Country areas will have lower rego costs.

Vic rego includes CTP so you dont need to worry with that. As others said, all you need is a roadworthy, then head to your local vic roads office and they will take your old plates and give you new.

in regards to suburbs, I found living in south melbourne really good. 1.8km to the city so I could walk to work in the morning, right near city link, close to good food in st kilda, south yarra...

but then its not too cheap there. Also, I used to worry about my car leaving it on the street at night. I think your best bet would be to get something with a lock up garage. My mate who lives in a quite toorak street left his *cough* honda civic *cough* out in the street one night. Came out in the morning and it had been keyed along with every other car in the street.