SAU Community

Top 5 things you hate about living in Japan

Demon Dave

This thread has been highly amusing, even for an outsider (although having spent a few weeks in Japan over the years, I can appreciate some of the compliants).

A serious question: if you don't speak a word of Japanese (or anything but english; *sigh* I suck at learning languages) can you actually make a living in Japan? I love the time I spent in Japan... I sometimes wish I could go back on a more permanent basis, but I would rather try and be an 'ordinary' person (as much as one can as a foreigner) -- ie. have a job -- than just go as a tourist.

LW.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lwells: depends on the job, but certainly not a requirement for many jobs. You certainly can get by with next to nothing. However, the more you know the more fun it is.

I'm adding another

32. That same bastard who stole my bike! Because he returned it (still with a flat front tyre) and stole my wife's bike! WTF?

32. That same bastard who stole my bike! Because he returned it (still with a flat front tyre) and stole my wife's bike! WTF?
Thats gotta be grounds to steal the Navi system out of his car???

Ant and I have been discussing things recently and came up with this

* Most electrical appliances in Japan aren't earthed, so there is a distinct possibly that in the event of anything developing an electrical fault, you'll end up with a spectacular hairstyle.

* Kerosene heaters

* The fact that it seems perfectly acceptable just to throw things out your car window.

* Japanese people parking their cars. If you've ever watched them they just about always back into a car park (because that's apparently how they're taught in driving school) even though it takes a hell of a lot longer than just driving straight in.

AND HERE'S THE BIT I HATE

They reverse then stop, reverse then stop, reverse then stop, reverse then stop, reverse then stop, reverse then stop, reverse then stop, reverse then stop, reverse then stop, reverse then stop . . . . . . . . then still manage to hit the concrete blocks in every car park. Then they'll more often than not drive the car straight out again to straighten themselves up, because they've parked crooked.

AND HERE'S THE BIT I HATE

They reverse then stop, reverse then stop, reverse then stop, reverse then stop, reverse then stop, reverse then stop, reverse then stop, reverse then stop, reverse then stop, reverse then stop . . . . . . . . then still manage to hit the concrete blocks in every car park. Then they'll more often than not drive the car straight out again to straighten themselves up, because they've parked crooked.

Yeah... the wait is excrutiating! Once I almost lept out of my car yelling "Look, just get out and let me do it!!!!"

lwells: depends on the job, but certainly not a requirement for many jobs.  You certainly can get by with next to nothing.  However, the more you know the more fun it is.

Can you give me an idea of what jobs one can do with no Japanese (besides teaching?) :D Just the general jist would be cool :)

LW.

The appliances are not "grounded"? WOW! :run:

Most appliances supplied to Japan that have a 2 pin plug come with a grounding cable that you are supposed to run to a grounding point - ie a copper water pipe or similar.

But since 90% of people have no electrical knowledge at all I'd expect that very few actually do this, and since many houses are apartments it is likely that whatever point selected to run the cable to isn't grounded anyway!

everyday when i try to get off ive got house wives, old men, young kids, japanese guys with weird haircuts and lots of silver jewellery pushing to get on while i stand there thinking WTF? if you look in theyre eyes you can see what theyre after and all it is is an empty seat. it happens everyday and thats why it pisses me off.