SAU Community

Fuel pump on RB20DET

Ed G

Hi,

Picked up a RB20 front cut on the weekend.... started it up in my garage las nite... the damn thing is running so rich and idling like a dog... whereas at the place i picked it up from it was smooth as! The only thing that I can think is different is the fuel pump I have, it's a denso around the 255lt/hr mark. The dude told me that the injectors would struggle with it and I would need to get a new fuel reg. I had this pump on my SR20 with no mods the anything on the fuel side of things and it ran fine.... am I barking up the wrong tree by thinking it's the fuel pump?

Thanks,

Ed.

I wouldn't think it was the pump, as the standard regulator seems to cope fine with the bigger Bosch pumps etc

I'd be checking for a vacumm leak, or a intercooler hose not connected - I take it you are running it out of the car? If so this would most likely be the problem, as it sounds like what happens when you run the car with a loose intercooler hose etc

Just my thoughts :(

Chris

yeah there is one section of intake (hot side of the cooler just after the turbs) hose without any hose clamps on it, but i didnt think this would affect the idle... when it reaches +ve it starts to affect things.... there are so many damn vaccume lines without clamps on them too :( I think it's going to take me a while to find it if it's a leak...

the motor is currently sitting in a front cut.... one other thing i was thinking could be affecting it... the only exhaust on it is a 3" dump... no cat (the car is chopped at the a pillar).. and if the 32 is the same as my s13, there would be a O2 sensor on the cat correct?

afm is plugged in... will check all the hoses i can tonite.. checked all the i/c plumbing and it's all on correctly (except the one with no clamps....) will check the rest 2nite....

any other ideas?

no clamps could quite easily mean a leak even at idle

if you don't have any clamps (which you can get from bunnings by the way) then use cable-ties just to test it out. you might be surprised that although a hose seems to be securely on, even without a clamp, it probably will still be leaking.

cheers,

Waz.

My money is on the intercooler pipe - mine poped off once on the outlet of the intercooler, and it wouldn't idle and blew balck smoke (fuel)

There are many vacuum lines as you know doubt can see, all can effect idle quality

Chris