SAU Community

HKS 2540 on RB25DET result

DVS-8OR

I put my car on the dyno last night. This is the result i got with the 2540 installed 209.5kW at the rear.

The car has 3" exhuast from turbo back, front mount, stock ecu and 12psi of boost.

Planning to get fuel pump, injectors and tune pfc later.

did you buy second hand? if so where and how much?

I got the turbo 2nd hand from a mate and paid $1600 for it.

How does it drive.It looks very gradual.There seems to be a large flat spot in there 5400-6300rpm's.Nothing that a pfc,injectors & pump wont fix.

It goes pretty hard but as you can see its pretty laggy with the bosot

What do you have controlling the boost? (ebc?)

Im using Blitz Dual SBC old model. Still learning how to use it, got to play around with the gain abit more to see if i can get the boost on alittler earlier

can i ask what is with that savage rise right aropund 6500rpm?

that seems very abnormal too me

The savage rise is the boost kicking in after the stock ecu has stop retarding the fuel (thats what i think it is)

Yes i know. I just wanted to see how much power the car was making with the stoc ecu.

I got pfc sitting here at home but im short on funds to get injectors, fuel pump, maybe z32 and plus the cost of tunning.

Hopefully i get the car to its full potential (on stock internals) by next year.

Full boost not reached until ~4600rpm!!!!????

Makes you wonder what its like when people bolt these onto their SR20DETs...

An EBC or a decent boost controller like the TurboXS one should help spool it up a lil better... also a good tune on the PowerFC will certainly help things too!

Makes you wonder what its like when people bolt these onto their SR20DETs...

Yes it does but i believe that if they were to put it on their SR20DET they would have all the suporting parts to get the car going properly. Unlike me who doing things when i have the funds

the best thing about this turbo is that its efficient at high boost levels, which means that once you get everything setup and run some decent boost, it should hold right through the top of the range, giving you awesome top end.

Typically a lag monster, with a good tune you can retain 9:1 compression, add some cams for the midrange, run some healthy boost and youll be loving it.

More proof to prove the 2540 is not the best turbo HKS make.

LOL, i dont doubt that it may not be the worlds greatest turbo, bu the std ECU doesnt exactly let the turbo show its worth.

I fanyone has a 2540 on an RB25 with ECU, injectors, IC etc then id be interested in seeing the results...it may not have the hit of a 2530, but if its making TD06-20G power with an internal gate and std manifold and reasonabel response then you cant complain that much.

Hell INASNT your car is a great setup, but with 1 bar is making 250rwkws, if a 2540 makes the same power at 1.0-1.2bar all with the std manifold and simialr response then i see it as a great setup for ppl with std internals.

So yeh ive read the compressor/turbine thing, but sometimes somehting working only 75% of the way it intended is still better then Nissan attempt and is the right price.

Ill save my judgement until the ECU/Injecotrs are sorted:)

But roy there have been alot of tests on gtrs with twin 2540's and 2530's and on rb25det's and even tho the 2540 has a bit more top end the 2530's are making more power earlier than the 2540 and the 2540 only peaks right at the end of the rpm range.

2540 is not rated at same power level as TD06 20G is it?

...2540 is not rated at same power level as TD06 20G is it?

Dont know what they are rated at, but the best figure ive heard/read about with a TD06-20G on a RB25 is 250-270rwkws at between 1.2-1.4bar. It was apparantly pretty responsive, i never got to go for a ride in either car:( just saw the dyno sheets

The only 2540 result i recall was a guy on here from Canberra with a 2540 that was selling his car, and it made 255-260rwkws or something at a boost level i cant recall:)

2540s are going cheap, and in twin form on a 2.6L engine its only going to emphasise any response problem. In single form on a 2.5L the capacity will help mask any prob. So not saying they are a great turbo, but if had at the right price they can give you good power.

The 2530 argument can be used to compare against your GT30 setup.... is the top end whack worth the sacrifice in response? According to the 1 credible RB25 result i have seen one will make 250-260rwkws, the same as your GT30 without the need for external gate, new dump/front pipe and exhaust manifold.

So just thinking out loud...not saying it is the ideal setup, but the guy is still going to end up with a fun car with good power for $1600.:D