SAU Community

Japanesse Auctions...Pick Your Own GTR

AndyMac

Simple Question.

Is it possible to goto the Jap Auctions and pick out your own 1989 GTR ? Of course I'd expect this to be done with some help from the actual "professional bidder". But can you at least inspect cars and tell the bidder which one you want ?

Thanks

Andrew

i expect any car impoter worth talking to would allow you to see which car your laying down your hard earned $$ before buying.

I'm sure there are any number of excellent importers in sydney who would love to help you out.

or give Mick from SVI in brisbane a call. they only import top qualitity cars and are very reasonable in price.

07 3256 7888

you can't actually enter the auctioning premises unless you have a trader permit. Even then each auction house has different criteria for giving them out.

Inspection of cars is only generally available 24 hours prior to the auction, and only by authorised agents. The japanese secondhand auction system is not orientated towards customer interaction, but moreso wholesale by dealers and exporters.

So in short, you'll have a hard time trying to get someone to personally show you the cars at auction before you bid on them. Regardless of which importer in Australia you contact, as they'll all have agents (middle men) who do the bidding for them at various auctions.

I think ylwgtr2 on this forum had an agent pass for USS auctions at one stage, you might want to ask him the details on it.

If you're talking about the cars at yahoo auctions, then yeah the guys at J-Spec usually are in touch with the seller before the auction closes, so we can organise a mechanic to go out and check the car, I'm sure we can ask the mechanic if you can tag along.

Correct you cannot enter unless your with someone who has an authorised permit, you can of course browse until your heart's content with a pair of binoculars outside the barbed wire fence.

Once you get in, checking the cars is allowed anytime either walking around or on the little trailer bus going around. Information about the cars i.e. is the Auction report is on the dash of every car, as are the keys in the ignition :P but doesn't mean you go start up every car to hear how she sounds and NO test driving is allowed unless your genuinely going to buying that Murcielargo or Gullwing 300SL.

So yes you can go to the auctions and get to look at any cars you wish prior to bidding or like most importers do just take photos and you choose which one your interested in.

Actually the most policed auction is RAA we call it the pakistani auction house.....The gaurds check EVERYBODY for ID...I cant really understand it as this is where all the junk goes....JAA and USS are pretty laid back but i guess that may be toward foreigners as most of the time they are exporters and not buying the vehicle for local use so they dont need to enforce the ID thing( i think its really a protection thing for the dealers....to hide the profit)I have ID membership to all these places and only get checked at RAA....i have taken people to the others and never had them pulled up to check for there ID