SAU Community

Disc Rotors

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing the red900ss made me think. A lot of bikes have cross-drilled disc rotors and yet cracking, even under extreme race conditions, does not seem an issue. I understand the weight differences however after a few laps I am sure the heat factor is similar to cars. Food for thought or just demented ramblings?

Originally posted by red900ss

Hey dbasteve...any news on the rotors?

The castings still haven't been machined. Production is a bit of a bottleneck at the moment because of some big orders going through. I'll keep pushing for this month though.:D

The part number is DBA 963 for this GTST R33 rotor.

Originally posted by Brody

Any idea when the kpaw design kicks in for slotted 909 and 908 models?

No rush either just trying to plan things :)

The DBA 908 K/Paw are in stock, the DBA 909's will change over next production run which could be a few months now. We still have heaps left from our last run.

:blah:  

Looking at the sizes, can't see anything else fitting the front...

What's ure impressions on the kpaw design compared to the normal 1s?

In regards to the 909;

The 909 has been around for a long time and is a very heavy duty disc. To change it over to the new skippy design would enable us to reduce the weight of the disc and maintain or improve stability and strength. The pillar system offers a better distribution of support between the two braking surfaces and more surface area for better cooling. I wouldn't say it will make as big an improvement on the 909 as it would for a lighter duty disc but there will be an enhancement.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey steve, just read the entire post and am a fair bit confused by the whole thing.

I have a '95 R33 GTS-T, i want your slotted rotors front and rear with the 'skippy paw' ventillation.

I've searched your website and found part numbers:

FT: 926

RR: 908.

Questions:

1. are they both the kangaroo paw system now?

2. how can i tell if my car was 32mm min thickness 30 OR 30mm min 28?

3. all the R33 GTS-Ts have 296mm diameter front discs, right?

Thanks for your time.

Not half as confused as I was sifting through this mess.

O.K There are two 296mm discs out there;

1. DBA 926 = 296mm x 32mm R32 GTR RB26DETT (Soon to be listed as DBA 4926)

2. DBA 4963 = 296mm x 30mm R33 GTST RB25DET

3. DBA 908 = Rear for all non Brembo brake kits for R32 to R34 GTR and GTST

a. All of the above are Skippy rotors (K/Paw)

b. Your car will be the DBA 4963. The catalogue is wrong as the 32mm rotor only fits the GTR.

c. There is one other oddball GT with 310mm rotors. I haven't seen one in Australia yet.

All the above discs are in stock.

We decided to only make the new front Skyline rotors as 4000 series rotors. Considering the application, there was no point making stock standard product to compete with imported chinese product.

The prices haven't changed but if you order a DBA 963 you will get a 4963 which is our premium one piece GTP and Rally class rotor spec.

I hope this helps clear things up. Even though I've probably added a bit more to the confusion with the last bit.. :rolleyes:

Can u dump the 909 stock into a river or something to make way for the kpaw 909 series :)

Is there any other alternative to using 909s on a r32 gtst?

Thanks again for all the time uve spent helping out here :D

I'm doing my best to push it through!

For every one disc we tool up for or rebuild we get 10 more requests. :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Steve,

I was wondering if you knew anything about changing brakes from a R33/34 GTR onto the R32 GTR. Is it worth the upgrade or am I better off with something more exotic like AP or Alcon calipers?

I'm keen on a set of the dba5000 rotors. And sorry for bugging you again.;)

Thanks

Originally posted by Silver-Arrowz

Steve,

I was wondering if you knew anything about changing brakes from a R33/34 GTR onto the R32 GTR. Is it worth the upgrade or am I better off with something more exotic like AP or Alcon calipers?

I'm keen on a set of the dba5000 rotors. And sorry for bugging you again.:(  

Thanks

I haven't done it myself. I am told that you need to replace the struts, but I can't see why unless there is a unusual clearance problem. The offset is the same but the R33 GTR rotor is 30mm instead of 32mm.

If your in Sydney you are welcome to borrow a sample rotor over the weekend or something. You would need to check out the R33 caliper or it may be more ecconomical to use a radial mount Brembo of similar spec and have a bracket made. There are quite a few good Brembo calipers that aren't too expensive. The AP's and Alcons are excellent but quite expensive.

Do you plan on doing this upgrade yourself or having it done in a workshop?

DBA 5000;

There isn't enough clearance between the caliper and hub to allow a conventional two piece design on the R32 GTR rotor. It can be done using a castle drive system which is very expensive to do correctly and you really couldn't justify the cost over an R33 upgrade.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by skyQUEST

question for dbasteve, does cryogenic treatment of rotors make much improvement to disk life?

dave

If it is done properly, Yes it can make a difference in racing applications. For the street; I don't think it's as much a benefit.

I assume you are refering to the article in "Zoom" a few weeks back.

http://pub169.ezboard.com/fdiscbrakesaustr...rakeclinicfrm24

You can email me if you would like a more in depth explanation.