SAU Community

any of you guys get cuaght in the defect blitz last night at burwood?

Ceffo

I thought that if you have an engineers certificate, than you can still get defected by police, however, you show that certificate at the test station, and then you should not have to pay the corresponding fine(s )??

Also, is it true that you cannot get defected if you drive in another state, or is it the same with P plates and speed limits, where for me to drive in nsw, I would not be allowed to do 100 till im off my ps, unlike in qld where I can do 100 right from the day I get my P's?

hi guys,

these engineers certificates...they are like modification permits right?

In the west if you get stopped and your car gone over, you can get off anything they pick on if you have a permit for it. Like bov, pod filter, exhaust etc. I have a permit for my exhaust even though it is a little over the legal limit at 102Db, but never been done for it. Does seem f**ked up that you get these fines.

We get a yellow sticker for defects. have to get anything needed fixed then go over the pits to get the car passed and sticker removed. No fines though from what I am aware. I didn't get fined when i got a yellow for defects.

this is what i know correct me if im wrong:

the reason why mods as illegal is becasue they are not standardised and could be dangerous to you or other road users. eg if u have new shocks or springs that havnt been engenerred they "might" stuff up and kill u or other people on the road. If u get them engineered they say that they are road worthy and wont "stuff up" and therefore you cant get defected for them. so in a nutshell they are permits for modification.

is a front mount intercooler a defect?

yeah it is.. i got defected for that... its defectable as cooling the air can change emissions (why thats different from driving on a cold night i don't know!) and if its exposed as well...

i got defected at the start of this year... pod was $200 and exhaust is $250... plus the whole hassle of getting an emissions test... do you have to go through all that as well cceffo? I recomment the emissions test facility at penrith.. the guy there is very helpful!

moanie did you have to put the original intercooler on to clear the defect?

nah... the good thing was, all i had to do was pass the emissions test to keep the intercooler... if i hadn't passed it, i'd have had to look at removing the fmic :D

yeah it is.. i got defected for that... its defectable as cooling the air can change emissions (why thats different from driving on a cold night i don't know!) and if its exposed as well...

i got defected at the start of this year... pod was $200 and exhaust is $250... plus the whole hassle of getting an emissions test... do you have to go through all that as well cceffo?  I recomment the emissions test facility at penrith.. the guy there is very helpful!

i had a FMIC on my car and didnt get defected for it

only got done for loud exhaust BOV and pod

had to go to EPA for the sound testing

thats when he sent me to the RTA for an emissions test. airflow issues etc and i think he saw my aftermarket computer

just get a new cat, a detune, heat the cat up before the test, good petrol and you can pass easily, but more money spent to get it to that stage

yeah penrith RTA is great, now if i get sent there again i can just use my old test and play around with it before i fax it off

If the police think its a stock item then your unlikely to get defected for it. Since the GT-Rs come with a FMIC, I wouldn't be suprised if the copper thought it was stock (or alternatively, didn't think to check and/or didn't have a clue).

Personally I think you are best of getting all your mods done, then get them engineered in one hit (assuming, of course, they are legal and thus can be engineered :()

LW.

only got done for loud exhaust BOV and pod

had to go to EPA for the sound testing

thats when he sent me to the RTA for an emissions test. airflow issues etc and i think he saw my aftermarket computer

just get a new cat, a detune, heat the cat up before the test, good petrol and you can pass easily, but more money spent to get it to that stage

yeah penrith RTA is great, now if i get sent there again i can just use my old test and play around with it before i fax it off

hey!! long time no speak! :(

i had more problems passing an emissions test... i detuned, and put stock parts back on the car.... and i passed nicely!! it cost me too much to go through it all though :(

Personally I think you are best of getting all your mods done, then get them engineered in one hit (assuming, of course, they are legal and thus can be engineered :()

LW.

thats what i said, it would be cheaper to get it engineered than to **** around with a defect..