SAU Community

In Car Navigation System

C110GTR

Probably not, not that I know of anyway... I've never tried, but wouldn't the GPS settings and stuff be different between countries?

Definately not.

They run on two system here in Japan. One is a GPS based system that superimposes your position and direction on maps stored on a DVD or HDD.

The second system does the same, but uses terresterial positioning rather than GPS.

Either way, you'll need to get a GPS based system WITH Australian maps in order for it to work. Since each navi system manufacturer has a different format for their maps, that's going to be extremely difficult.

It'd be easier and cheaper just to buy an equivilent system in Australia.

IG

PS On a side note. The boss of a friend in NZ has a navi system in his car that was terresterial based in Japan. It now permenantly displays the last location signal it recieved . . . . . . . . . . . The car thinks it is about 100km out to sea from Tokyo.

They run on two system here in Japan.  One is a GPS based system that superimposes your position and direction on maps stored on a DVD or HDD.

The second system does the same, but uses terresterial positioning rather than GPS.

I think they're all GPS based these days, though I believe Japan has DGPS (Differential GPS) where additional ground based transmitters transmit a correction signal to further improve the accuracy of the GPS location calculated by the receiver. Some cars have a secondary inertial system to provide location info when the GPS signal isn't available.

But IG has hit the nail on the head regarding the problem, which is map compatibility. Each manufacturer uses a different format, and I'm not aware of any mainstream Japanese manufacturer and/or OEM NAV system supplier who has maps available for Aussie.

Therefore aftermarket for Aussie is the only way to go, something like this:

http://www.navman.com/go/aus/index.html

I reckon there is a business opportunity in Aussie and NZ for someone who can reverse-engineer the various Japanese map systems and produce local maps for them, I've seen heaps of imports recently which have nav systems that are essentially expensive paperweights!

that is not my point, it is illegal AFAIK to have the TV on but not the sat nav...in some units powering off the unit is the only way to turn it off thus the unit tucks away.

I would know we manufacture sat navs in Japan which are also fitted to Mercedez Benz.

Sat navi is a dead industry in Aust as far as I'm concern...

Obviously not, the new Commodores and Monaros come with them as options and some even factory, hell even Nissan Maximas have them.

Im sure the police think this is a grey area, i have never heard of anyone getting an infrigement related to in car DVD's or Sat nav systems.

...last time for the reading impaired!

Im sure the police think this is a grey area, i have never heard of anyone getting an infrigement related to in car DVD's or Sat nav systems.

Perhaps the Sat Navi was already turned off.

Any installation by an auto electrician has to ensure the TV is off when the vehicle is moving, that's the only requirement FOR AUST! Sat Navi by right should remain ON for it's purpose, however as I've explained above again units overseas especially the Japanese units are not restricted to this STUPID rule...so when POWERING OFF the TV will also POWER OFF the SAT NAVI...i.e. backlight off = nothing can be viewed anyway!

If you could some how inhibit the TV or prove to the officer the TV was not active in the background then you will be OK.

Perhaps Holden, Ford and Nissan have done for the Aust market...certainly wasn't the case in a friend's Aust delivered E430. AFAIK other makers are using the speed signal to trigger and turn off the backlight to comply.

Back on topic, Troy you've got a good point there, I think someone brought it up on PF too... how can you use the Navi in AU when it's off while you're driving?

Back on topic, Troy you've got a good point there, I think someone brought it up on PF too... how can you use the Navi in AU when it's off while you're driving?

Voice guidance is the key people..... I've heard of some systems that can be configured to switch the screen off when the car is going above ~5km/h, but the unit still gives you the voice commands - eg 'turn.... left.... in.... 100... meters.....' or my personal favourite: 'Make.... a.... legal... u-turn...' when you manage to confuse it!

The manufacturers who supply Sat nav as an option probably have an exception to the ADR's for allowing the Nav screen to be on.